1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Burning oil/tire smell, cannot tell WHERE it is coming from

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Neo1130
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning oil/tire smell, cannot tell WHERE it is coming from

Ever since it has snowed here since Christmas week, I have been getting a burning oil or tire smell coming from the rear of the vehicle. I cannot pin point the smell, but also cannot tell if it is oil or tires...

All on the same day, I did brakes all around, new tires and an oil change. I do not know if this has something to do with the rear diff and the tires spinning at different speeds a few times (just having fun) or if I need an alignment and tires are getting warm...

Whatever it is, happens mostly from freeway speeds, then I will stop and get out and smell it. Cannot smell it from inside... Been going on for a couple of weeks now... When I got the vehicle washed today I got the undercarriage wash done to wash off the dirt/sand/salt and oils to see if there are any new leaks... The vehicle was idling for about 5 minutes before the wash and when I got out I noticed the rear diff steaming a decent amount. I am thinking of doing a rear diff fluid change and no I do not have the posi... No leaks that I can tell, but does this sound like a low diff fluid issue?

1999 Durango, 5.2l, 4x4, 9 1/4 rear with no posi...

Old 01-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't imagine that the diff should be steaming. I would definitely check the fluid and the level.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Neo1130
Veteran

Sounds good... Do they make a rear diff seal? I know most of the time people use ATV but I want to try and find a silicone rubber seal like I had for the water pump...

Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure. A good high temp RTV is all you need and all I used.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Ck the fluid level in the diff 1st, Then remove the rear tires and ck the brakes and ck the axle seals for leaks too. I know with caravans, when water gets into the drums it causes the drums to lock up. You could have the same problem, but with snow.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Unexpected

I thought my Truck had a horrible gasoline odor but it turned out to be the soles of my big 5 shoes back in 97.
Tortured the dealer on that one oops....

Quick Reply: Burning oil/tire smell, cannot tell WHERE it is coming from