1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

new plugs champion iruduims ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:45 AM
duty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new plugs champion iruduims ?

have 2002 r/t 5.9 are they the best plugs and what is your opion on changing the throttle body read some things on the site that changing the throttle body out could help gas milage anytruth in this matter ?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 PM
shelbysp360#74
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out nology plugs and wires. They are expensive, but nology makes the best wires/plugs. They have a whole page on their site about the downsides to iridiums. I have both nology wires and nology plugs. Extremelly happy with both. For tb..got to thefastman.com. He's vendor and member of this forum..he has the best tb. Hope this helps

Old 05-20-2011, 11:27 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

honestly the best plugs you can put in these trucks is the cheap copper core champions, the iridiums will also work just fine, i would stick with champion brand plugs, i have never heard of these nology plugs so i would recommend staying far far away (sounds like an off-brand to me). Also make sure you stay very far away from platinum plugs

Old 05-21-2011, 11:06 AM
shelbysp360#74
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nology wires are not an off brand...@ $300 for set of 8 wires they are the best of the best. They ate used by many high petformance shops. I only put the best on my cars..but if your looking for an everyday plug/wires...go with what other poster said. I wotked in high performance speed shop dealing mostly with mustangs and nology outperformed all other brands we tried. Shrpshtr...don't judge until you've tried it.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am running Champion IR plugs. Much better than copper or plats. works fine on the 1st gen 5.9 engines. Starts extremely easy. I would not recommend plats either. Known issue on the 5.9 systems

Changing throttle bodies usually do not gain any mpg, but may lose a little due to having more air coming in, the cpu will have to increase the fuel to compensate. Thus, more power vs mpg. I upgraded to a 52 mm fastman and love the throttle response, but mpg remained the same if not slightly less.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:35 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shelbysp360#74
Nology wires are not an off brand...@ $300 for set of 8 wires they are the best of the best. They ate used by many high petformance shops. I only put the best on my cars..but if your looking for an everyday plug/wires...go with what other poster said. I wotked in high performance speed shop dealing mostly with mustangs and nology outperformed all other brands we tried. Shrpshtr...don't judge until you've tried it.
i wasnt trying to say they were bad equipment, just saying that without having used them i would never recommend them to anybody and since iv never heard of them before now i also wouldnt be running out in a hurry to try them. Also without having tried them all i can share is my gut feeling, and that is that if they were such good parts we would have heard about them before now . . .

Also at $300 a set they are more than a bit of a rip off for anyone using their vehicle for daily driving(which is what we are talking about here)

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 05-21-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:46 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Not sure about their wires, but their claim to fame with plugs is that they use silver (rather than copper, platinum, iridium, etc). Interesting, because they mention maximum conductivity, but honestly copper is not far behind. Seems to me that high end track performance is their true audience (and possibly The Fast and Furious wannabe's), not necessarily the daily driver 4WD SUV.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When I changed to my 52mm Fastman Throttle Body I lost about 3/4 miles per gallon. Was it a kick *** TB? You bet it was!......LOL

I don't know if Champion Iridium will be better then the cheap Champion Copper, but so far nobody has complained and people like them as Kensai stated. Personally I wouldn't spend the money on them, but it's up to each person......IMHO

Old 05-22-2011, 12:46 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I forked extra money for the IR because I am too damn lazy to get back under the hood to change them often if they were copper. I have a bad back and can't be bending myself over all day long working on the plugs! I think I am reaching 50k miles on the IR's and it still runs like new.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:59 PM
duty

thanx for your help i stuck the champ irdiums the msd 8.5 and brass cap and rotor allready noticed an increase in mpg and power wow what a diffrence in a truck 125,000 miles thanx guys !!!!!!!

Quick Reply: new plugs champion iruduims ?