1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Front Suspension/Steering Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 PM
winkie74
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Suspension/Steering Clunk

I have a 99 Durango with 4wd and Ive had a bad clunk for a while now. Its a loud clunk that i can feel throught the truck and it only happens when im moving at a slow speed and turn sharply, like into a parking spot. And it does it when i straighten the wheel out too. It happen more often when its cold outbut after some driving it seldom does it. I also have that annoying clicking from both front wheels when turning. The truck has gotten new inner and outer tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, and new cv shafts. The only other i can think of if the hubs. And I remember my grandpa telling me that he had an older car that did the same thing. It turned out to be the race in the hub had gotten hot and actually expanded the metal around it and when it was cold and you turned the wheel it would slip under the strain and "clunk".

Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything torqued right? alignment right? Check intermediate steering shaft

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 11-27-2012, 10:46 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Check the upper A-arm. It sounds just like when mine did it. I had an alignment done and the, well i have some choice words to describe the guy, didn't tighten down the bolts that hold on the A-arm enough when he did the camber. So the A-arm was snapping back and forth turning at low speed. Have a buddy help ya look and take it out and watch it when you are turning.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 PM
winkie74
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything that i replaced is torqued right but the a arm im not sure. come to think of it, it never had that problem before i had it aligned a couple years ago. Its been very slowly getting worse. Ill be checking those in the morning.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension/Steering Clunk