1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Ticking noise while turning left.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 AM
rob[GL]
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise while turning left.

Twice last night I noticed, while making slow speed left turns, that there was a strange faint "ticking" sound coming from the front right wheel area. I noticed it with the windows down while leaving the gas station and while pulling into my parking spot at home.

Any suggestions? I will jack the truck up this weekend and rotate the wheels by hand to see if I can pinpoint exactly what this noise is, or where it's coming from. Strangely though it didn't make any noise this morning.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:02 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

could it be as simple as a piece of stone stuck in the tire tread, or maybe (hope not) a nail in the tire?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:51 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on a rock.

Or a failing hub

IndyD

Old 06-29-2011, 11:24 AM
rob[GL]
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, as a matter of fact, there was a nail in the tire... However, that wasn't the problem, as I took the truck into the shop to have the tire repaired. Turns out the nail was actually just a small piece, only maybe 1/4" long, it wasn't puncturing the tire - it was just stuck in the tread.

Anyways, as I said, that's not the problem. It wasn't clicking once per revolution of the wheel. It was clicking multiple times per 1 revolution of the tire. The mechanic suspected a CV shaft perhaps?

We had the truck on the hoist and spun the wheels by hand but it wasn't making any noise. They also inspected the front end and said everything was fine. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

Thanks guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ticking noise while turning left.