1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4.7 exhaust manifold studs/bolts OEM replacements

Old 07-17-2011, 07:29 PM
jaz27
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 exhaust manifold studs/bolts OEM replacements

Hey all,
So I have a leak and wanted to ask some questions... my heat shield is loose...
1. When replacing the gasket do I need to put gasket silicone?
2. I have research this and I can’t find this anywhere, the bolts, I have read this in this thread that I can only get the oem from the dealer but these are old threads and want to know if there are any new info out there..
Thanks for the help.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only found the studs at the dealer, that is assuming you want to put the heat shield back on. If you're going to remove the heatshield you can use aftermarket studs as they don't need to have the stepped down threads to hold on the shield.

Nothing goes onto the manifold gaskets when you put them on. If you have a hard time getting them to stay in place when putting on the manifold, use a couple of small dots of thick grease to hold them to the block. It'll burn off quickly. Also, don't forget to go back & re-torque the bolts after 100 miles or so.

Bob

Old 07-18-2011, 05:39 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 Bob

Old 07-18-2011, 05:40 PM
jaz27
Rookie

thanks for the reply bobman
now do i need the heat shield? i have read that we dont really need it, but i dont know if something else should be replaced with it..

Old 07-18-2011, 06:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

You don't need to have it.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:59 AM
jaz27
Rookie

awesome then.
I have head that the OEM bolts/studs are weak.. that i should get some grade 8 ones... is there truth behind that statement

Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 AM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaz27
awesome then.
I have head that the OEM bolts/studs are weak.. that i should get some grade 8 ones... is there truth behind that statement
The studs themselves aren't weak, they just cake up with rust & corrosion and break when you try to remove them. Also, the smaller (10mm?) nuts that hold the heat shield on are just about impossible to remove once they get rusty. Hit them good with PB Blaster or a good penetrating oil & wire brush to remove rust before trying to remove them. I had a couple that were impossible to remove, (the thin part of the stud broke off and the nuts holding the manifold rounded) so I used a dremel tool and a small cutoff wheel to slit the nut & knocked it off with a chisel. The studs then came out pretty easily with a pair of vice grips.

I don't think grade 8's are any real advantage, unless maybe they won't corrode as quickly? Before putting my new ones in (which I got from the dealer) I put a little anti-seize on the threads. Not sure if it really makes a difference though. Also pay close attention to the torque.... remember that you're going into an aluminum head and the threads can strip easily.

Good luck!
Bob

Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 PM
timgalla

I'll tell you what I know and it's not a lot. I just had my 03 durango in dealership shop last week for broken right side rear 2 bolts. When reading on net seems is common problem. Shop tells me they see problem a bit and are using stronger bolts(they say). Now left side leaking. Would swear it wasn't before I put in shop but maybe I'm crazy. Since they are snapped off I have to pay them because I don't have shop to do it myself.
Have also read never to remove shield but others may know better.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Dakotahub

I'm right in the middle of replacing mine cause two bolt heads broke off. Anyone know what the torque is for the 8 bolts?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

For a 2005 Dakota:

Tighten exhaust manifold-to-exhaust pipe retaining bolts to 18 ft. lbs.

Shield nuts to 72 Inch Lbs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.7 exhaust manifold studs/bolts OEM replacements