1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 durango 46re not shifting into 3rd at wot

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:24 AM
miller69time
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 durango 46re not shifting into 3rd at wot

i now have a 2000 durango 5.9 with the 46re i believe transmission. it has 146k on it and i was told the trans was rebuilt at 90k but anyway,when i first got the durango it was shuddering/shaking badly felt like driving over rumble strips when accelerating at 40mph i would accelerate slowly and it would be at like 1200rpms and start shuddering untill i put it further down then it would hit passing gear and it would stop the shuddering.Also i noticed at wot it shifted perfect /nice and firm 1st to 2nd at 4800rpm but 2nd to 3rd it wouldnt shift at all it would hit the rev limiter.I changed the fluid/ filter and adjusted the front and rear bands thinking that would help and it did improve a little bit but it still shudders a little bit not often though and it only does this when your lightly accelerating at say 35to 40 mph and it still will not shift 2nd to 3rd at wot and i also noticed when lightly accelerating at say 55 to 60mph like going up a slight hill the rpms will go up and down like 300rpms kinda like the tourque converter is locking up and unlocking fastly or something. if you go further down on the throttle it will hit passing gear and all is good.I have messed with the detent cable and if i lossen it it flares badly wile shifting2nd to 3rd and now i have the cable about as tight as it will go but its still the same symptoms. i was thinking the govener/pressure sensors and transducer?or maybe the valve body And i was told by one of my friends it may be the TPS sensor??maybe a shift kit will fix it? I really dont think the transmission needs rebuilt since the transmission does not slip at all under normal driving like half throttle all shifts are nice and firm i really dont think it needs a rebuild hopefully?I do have a code for a bad oxygen sensor but i wouldn't think that would do anything like this.please help i am very frustrated!!!!

Old 08-27-2011, 01:46 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Tps could, I would re-adjust the bands also.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:31 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could just have the wrong fluid in there as well, or some from the re-builder. Try to drop the pan again, adjust the bands, replace the filter again and purge the old fluid out (instructions in the DIY thread) https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...nsmission.html . Do NOT power flush it!

I would replace the 3-4 shift solenoid but that's me. You could get a hold of master tech as he is the transmission guru.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:08 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Lets go with the basic, If you drive normal does it shift thru all four gears with no problems? Have you check the fluid level. Also may sure the carpet isn't rolled up under the gas pedal. The shudding when shifting thru the gears is not good. If you have an o2 sensor code that could be causing some of the shudding.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:18 AM
miller69time
Amateur

ya if i drive normal it shifts through all the gears with no problems what so ever, fluid is good (i just changed it less than 500 miles ago with a new filter and i adjusted the bands)it is on full.carpet is good not binding up on pedal and the shuddering is just when the engine is kinda lugging a little and accelerating like going from 35 to 45 mph and like 1200 0r 1400 rpms and at about 1/4 throttle now if i go to half throttle it downshifs and it doesnt shudder. and it only shudders when its in overdrive and the converter is locked up and as soon as the converter unlocks its fine. i will try to re adjust the front band this weekend but im 99% percent sure i did it correct i did research online before i did it and i took my time but you never know. thanks guys for the help so far.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Then the problem is the torque converter when it goes into lock up. the only way you can fix that is replace the front pump and torque converter and new sealing rings for the input shaft.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:14 AM
miller69time
Amateur

well that sux gota love these dodge transmissions lol at least i have a friend that ownes a transmission shop and i called him yesterday and he said he would rebuilt it for $700.00 with the converter. i am making an oppointment with him tomarrow to look at it and ill keep you guys posted to what he has to say. Im not a dodge hater or anything i have just been down this same road 3 times so far and ive owned dodges my whole life. my 1998 1500 4x4 5.2 had a 46re now has nv3500 i did the conversion and my 1998.5 dodge 3500 4x4 cummins had a 47re that was a fresh rebuild and i towed 15k and it was getting HOT so now its a nv4500 that i paid to have converted. thanks

Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not to be rude but; if you do the proper maintenance then you shouldn't have a problem. You say this is the 3rd issue you've had, but what if anything have you done to fix the issue before the problem occurs?

The transmissions aren't the best I assure, but you need to stay up on the scheduled maintenance and not trust your local mechanic to do so.

$700 and your complaining? You have issues....IMHO

By the way, the 47RE was only rated for 13K and yet you use it for 15K towing and complain?........LMFAO......, what the hell do you expect???????

Old 09-02-2011, 03:27 AM
miller69time
Amateur

i lucked out on the 47re i had a Enterprise built towing transmission with a tripple disk converter and billit input shaft all done by enterprise diesel performance and i do hotshot with this truck for a living so i am licenced to haul 30k gvw and i do have a cdl and the transmission was $5000.00 the good thing is enterprise was fully aware of what i do for a living and i could not keep that thing cool so instead of taking it out and throwing all my money away they kept the transmission and converted it to nv4500 all i had to do was pay for the nv4500 it was only 1500 for a reman. i was stoked!!
now the reason im getting kinda pissed at this durango is mainly i bought it 6 mos ago its a 2000 durango 5.9 has 146k and as soon as i bought it for my gf she drove it once and she accidently blew it up it did have oil but the pump went bad but she thought it was just the sensor messing up untill it started knocking lol but since ive put 2300 in this thing.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:41 AM
miller69time
Amateur

[B] UPDATE!!oh ya i did find out a good bit of info today i called the prievious owner which was my old boss and he said he does have the reciept for the transmission rebuild i was told about, it was only the converter replaced and the pressure Governor where replaced along with fluid and filter The reciept does state truck starts out in 2nd gear (pressure governer was bad i think causes this) doing so took out the torque converter. so no this was not rebuilt which explains all of this. it probably does need rebuilt it has 146k on it which is good for any transmission.I will have it looked at by a transmisson shop to be sure ill keep you guys posted
thanks guys!!

Last edited by miller69time; 09-02-2011 at 03:45 AM.

Quick Reply: 2000 durango 46re not shifting into 3rd at wot