1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replacement Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Dodge Driver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Speakers

I'm new here.

I have a 1999 Durango 4x4 SLT+ with the Infinity sound system. I did a search on the topic and found one person using Infinity Kappa speakers with an amplifier.

Are there any good replacement speakers that do not require an amplifier? And still deliver close to the factory sound quality? Somthing that will just bolt-in?

Crutchfield lists a few mid-high frequency 6-1/2" options, and they provide free mounting adapters. However, I'd hate to lose that little bit of base provided by the factory infinity speakers.

Thanks

Old 07-21-2005, 03:04 PM
GhostRider3387
Rookie
Default RE: Replacement Speakers

I have a 1998 Durango with the Infinity sound system. I replaced all the door speakers with Diamond Audio 6-1/2' and I'm still
using the factory amp. Check the ohms on the factory speakers and then buy/order your new speakers with the same ohms if you want to still use the factory amp.They should be 4ohm if I remember correctly. If you decide to install the speakers yourself I have step by step instructions in pdf format if your interested.

Old 07-24-2005, 06:06 AM
Dave in LB
Professional

I'm having the dealer replace my front driver speaker next week as it too is blown. had to fight with them to get it covered. I only bought the truck 2 months ago and one month of it was spent in a body shop after I crashed. Not the best way to start my Durango experience. I should get better eventually. I am also thinking about adding some rear cargo area speakers either in the side pannels or maybe over head in the rear. Maybe a good 2 or 3 way 6x9 just to even out the sound. I dont want to go looking at amps and such but it might be necessary even though I don't blare my radio anymore.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:56 AM
KyferEz

Well, the infinity kappas are high power speakers. If looking at crutchfield, look at the speakers that have a wattage starting at 2watts rms. I.E. the Infinity reference which crutchfield lists in the specs: "power range: 2-50 watts RMS (150 watts peak power)"

They won't require an external amp. However you will be much happier if you purchase a 50wrms per channel amp to push them. They will play louder, sound better, and you will experience less distortion, particurally at higher volumes.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:47 AM
Digitoxin
Professional

I replaced my speakers in my 03 durango after I bought it new.
I replaced the factory speakers with Infinity (reference series 6002i )
They sound so much better then stock, and rock a lot louder, clearer.
Thats what I would recommend if your not looking to spend tons of
money.

Quick Reply: Replacement Speakers