Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge SUVs > Dodge Durango > 1st Gen Durango
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Durango Transmission Removal help

Old 09-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Default 98 Durango Transmission Removal help

So I "attempted' to remove my transmission to swap in the replacment.. I ran into 2 issues.. The first was I can not get to the bolts on the top of the transfer case. :-/ Then The transmission crossmember I can figure out how to get that off As it sits about the Tosion bars?? Im thinking once that is off I can lower the trans a bit to access the bolts on the TCase but Just cant figure out what Im supposed to do to remove that crossmember.. Can anyone assist.. Please... :-( have to get this done by Sunday
\
98 4x4 5.2 motor
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 99' Ram 2500 V-10 Sport QC 4X4

When I took my T-case bolts out I had to use a wobbly and long extensions and still had to work my hands up in there. It's a REALLY tight spot I agree, took like 3.5 hours to get the 2 top ones out and in! Oil and clean the bolts before installation to aid in getting them back in. Also after you remove the Trans cross member you need to remove the trans and put it back up there and bolt it back to hold it from going out of square.

You can try to take the weight off the chassis to alleviate some frame twist to get it out.

Moto: I don't take sides, I hate everyone equally --- #1 V10 Club Member V10 Club

AKA....The Durango Section Godfather
Old 09-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Transmission God
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: Mits P/U , Dodge avenger(1996) .
Leonard Pierce

The best thing to do is remove the transmission motor mount. Then get a half moon wrench 9/16 1/2 combo box. That will also get the upper nuts off. To remove the t-case you are going to drop the front of t-case and the slide the tail housing down. You will need to drop the exhaust system. You still haven't gotten to the hard part of removing the transmission. The torque converter bolts are going to be a challenge. Remove the starter the bolt is 5/8 and the nut is also 5/8. You will need to remove all 9/16 bolt heads on the upper part of the bellhousing. Thats going to leave two 5/8 bolts on the lower part of the bellhousing, first remove the oil filter. Back the two bellhousing bolts out to about 1 inch and remove all the inspection cover bolts. using a pry bar, the transmission back until the cover comes out. Push the transmission back to the engine and then remove the 4 18mm torque converter bolts. Then remove the two bolts and transmission. If you don't do it this way, You spend another 2 or 3 hours removing the motor mounts and brackets.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for all the help, and suggestions guys.. Laying on my back with help of a friend it took us 9 hours to get the Trans out (after the rusty bolts were snapped then extracted from multiple locations.. And then 13 hours to put it back in.. There was more issues then I anticipated but its back in, the truck runs great and I no longer have a slipping trans or a truck that sounds like a war tank because we fixed the broken exhaust at the same time.

*** I DO NOT RECOMMEND anyone ever doing this job on there own if they dont have a lift**** :-/ Its a project. But again Thank you to everyone
Old 09-13-2011, 12:59 PM