1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Dodge Durango Mass Air Flow Sensor???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Marli1104
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 Dodge Durango Mass Air Flow Sensor???

(1st, I dont know ANYTHING about cars. So please bare with me as I try to explain this)
I have a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT V8 5.2L... I have 2 problems with it... 1 is I will be going, for example, 55 on the highway, yet be at 4,000 rpms. I have to switch it into Neutral then back into drive.... 2 - I go to start it 2 weeks ago, as soon as it starts it dies. Only stays running if my foot is on the gas pedal. After about 20 minutes of revving the engine, it will drive without dieing on me.... The mechanic said the Mass Air Flow sensor is missing and they can't even run a full diagnostic to see whats wrong. In fact the entire Air cleaner assembly box is missing also. The previous owner replaced it with just a cone shaped air filter.... On the diagram of the air cleaner assembly box and area around it, it does not show the MAF sensor... Can anyone tell me where it is and if that can possibly be my problem?

Old 09-13-2011, 12:11 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have no mass air flow sensor.

You have a dead battery.

You have posted in the wrong place.

You need to learn to use the search function... or at least review the forums front active page for issues just like your very ones.

And oh yea... find a new mechanic. That one ain't it.

HTH,

IndyDurango

Old 09-14-2011, 05:54 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I moved this thread from the general Durango section to the first generation Durango section,
FF

Old 09-14-2011, 10:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You do have a MAP sensor and that could be the problem, however average mechanics call it a "Mass Air Flow sensor" it is not. Concitering you are going by their statements, I think you are doing very well in describing what you are needing.

+1 on the battery needing replaced.

Indy<------Those type of generic answers are ignorant to people that don't know how to use (they even self declaired that!), or don't know correctly word conditions that they fit being uneducated/uninformed information. You are good at this, but they are not, so there is no reason to post those type of responses......just my 2 cents for what they are worth......Not tryin to bust your *****, but damn dude.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 09-14-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:16 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Don't loose fact of of a first time post, from someone that hasn't come back, not caring enough to realize they are posting in the wrong place and showing the same lack of care to even use the search functions. Even a poor search will yield tons of data on some very common topics.

Discount ALL of that, and indeed my response is hard hit.

Walk out in front of a Semi by not using the crosswalk, not looking at traffic, not caring they are driving by at 40MPH and not even looking at the stop light to see they are red and the Semi has the green... and I bet the hit there is a hard hit there too.

Disregard EVERYTHING and what do you get/what happens?
Let's say it was just ignorance in either scenario and what to you get/what happens?

The same thing. And you still have a dead battery.

Just saying

Last edited by IndyDurango; 09-15-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:52 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

First of all. This is how we treat new members.
New members post in the new member section to write, I am a new member and I need some help or information. They don't know about any link for search function. They are only writing what someone else that said what is wrong with their car or truck. The member stated that they don't know anything about their car or truck. The MAP sensor is not just a map sensor. It can be called a map or how about a BARO/MAP sensor. Remember the air filter assy is missing, there could be a sensor that is part of the air filter assy, thats called an air temp sensor. That maybe the sensor the member was asking about. Air temp - mass air flow, could be the same. The member also never said they had jump start the battery from what I read. Maybe you and other members should ask questions, that would help all members. I may not know as much as you, or you never know. But I know all members need to be treated with respect.

Last edited by master tech; 09-15-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:57 AM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the 98 have that same sensor? because i dont remember seeing one

Old 09-15-2011, 01:18 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

There is a temp sensor and it maybe mounted on the front, behined the grille.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:21 AM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ohhh ok thats teh sensor your talking about... my bad... yeah i have that one... i thought you said there was one inside the filter box

Old 09-15-2011, 01:50 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Originally Posted by master tech
The member also never said they had jump start the battery from what I read.
Master Tech, he didn't have to say he had a battery issue. He does. That was deduced by him specifically saying however the following:

"I go to start it 2 weeks ago, as soon as it starts it dies. Only stays running if my foot is on the gas pedal. After about 20 minutes of revving the engine, it will drive without dyeing on me."

To which the reply is, on all 100+ threads discussing low idle stumble in the past 12 months, nearly 100% of the time the symptoms of a dead battery.

See, the Gen1 PCM is power protected in such a fashion that the current runs past the battery first before getting to the electronics. That saves the PCM from spikes, etc however also makes the Gen1 VERY tepid when trying to drive with a dead battery.

Unlike HS, if my reply is read AS IT WAS INTENDED TO BE READ, there was NO VENOM in my response. Just matters of fact in clear, just concise and quick points. I shouldn't have even posted my response there but since no one else did to help the newbie I went ahead and did with the correct answers and with as little text as needed. Instead now, since political correctness has bleed into everything folks do (along with Jack Daniels with some others) everyone seems to needlessly have their panties in a bunch.

Had the newbie read ANY of the notices about NOT posting where they did... had the newbie tried to use the search on ANY of their questions to see the plethora of responses to the same questions asked over and over then there never would have been a post in the first place. If no one ever tells them any of that, so then why have the rules notice of not posting where they did, why have a search button, etc. Come one. Really now everyone? really? Geeze.

Lighten up folks. Not every post needs to be read as if someone is hatefully saying what they are writing. Don't let your bad days influence the simplistic answers often held within the text.

Last edited by IndyDurango; 09-15-2011 at 01:55 AM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Durango Mass Air Flow Sensor???