1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fog lights inop in need of a wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:39 PM
99durangorob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lights inop in need of a wiring diagram

I am new to the web site in need of some !! HELP !! i have a 1999 Dodge Durango SLT . My fog lamps have not worked for some time now I just looked at it today. I thought bulbs were bad installed two new bulbs and still didn't fix the problem. After further inspection I found that i have power at both lamps when turned on but no ground at either lamp. Does anyone know how the fog lamp circuit is grounded or how i can get a wiring diagram ?

Old 10-08-2011, 11:35 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Send me your email address and I'll send you what I have on the fog light diagrams.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Does your 1999 Durango have an integrated button into the main light switch, or do you have a separate button below the main head light switch? There is 2 different models.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:04 PM
99durangorob
Default fog lights inop

The fog light switch is integrated into head light switch, you have to pull on switch to turn the fog lights when lights are on.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

That's what I thought, but I had to make sure because the 1998's where different.

Now something you have to know is when they changed over to that style they also use the system and a positive ground when not in use, so a simple test will give you different results. Turn on the park lights and remove both light bulbs, now look for power on one side, then check ground on the other. If no ground or power there should be a splitter harness under the radiator support that spits to each side fog light. Disconnect there and check again as it could be a harness connection. If still nothing you need to look further up for a ground. Remember, there is a positive ground when not in use so you just can't ground the connection.

This is my Ram DIY, but it should boast you plenty of information: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...og-lights.html

Last edited by hydrashocker; 10-09-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:13 PM
99durangorob
Default Fog lights inop

Positive ground system oh crap I haven't worked on a positive ground system in a long long time. Did you say it yours grounded through your headlight switch.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:49 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I sent you the diagrams, Hope they help.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Well it's not a positive ground like what you are thinking, the switch makes the ground wire hot while the switch is not being used, also the hot side is hot. When the switch pulls out the neg/hot lead then cancels and powers the little light inside the switch that tells you the fog's are on, the switch then designates the ground for the switch light and fogs. So yes, it grounds through the switch, but only after the switch is turned on. Trust me, it was a sh!ty design and a real b!tch to figure out. That is why I gave you the instructions i did.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 10-09-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 PM
99durangorob

Well it's been awhile since I posted been busy I diagnosed and fixed my fog light problem awhile back. It ended up being the headlight switch THANKS to Hydrashocker for all his input it ended up being not to bad to diagnose. In the process of all this I bought a new tool Power Probe 3 it is awesome you can use it to test positive and groung circuits and even use it as your power source or ground source. THANKS AGAIN to Hydrashocker and Master tech for all your help

Quick Reply: Fog lights inop in need of a wiring diagram