1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

easy way to loosen fan nut?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:23 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirtrango
Not doubting you but could you take a picture of the pulley and pump I would like to see if it maybe an aftermarket pump and pulley.
My Durango has been in the family since it was a year old so I have all of the paperwork from everything that was ever done to it while it was still under warranty. Me and my dad have done all of the work on it since and I don't remember ever changing the waterpump and nothing is written in the log book of all the maintenance that we have done on it. Unless it was replaced in the year before we got it it should be original, and even if it was it probably would have been done at a dealership with an OEM one, but I guess there is a very slim chance it is aftermarket. Here's the pic...

Old 10-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Dirtrango
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
My Durango has been in the family since it was a year old so I have all of the paperwork from everything that was ever done to it while it was still under warranty. Me and my dad have done all of the work on it since and I don't remember ever changing the waterpump and nothing is written in the log book of all the maintenance that we have done on it. Unless it was replaced in the year before we got it it should be original, and even if it was it probably would have been done at a dealership with an OEM one, but I guess there is a very slim chance it is aftermarket. Here's the pic...

now thats weird cause the all should have 4 holes in the pulley so you can remove it. well your best bet is to try the strap method. good luck hope ou get it done with out to much trouble.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

now thats weird cause the all should have 4 holes in the pulley so you can remove it. well your best bet is to try the strap method. good luck hope ou get it done with out to much trouble.
I already changed the fan clutch this summer. It was a PITA but I got it done with some brute force and a BFW.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

In 1998-1999 the water pump assembly's had 2 different water pump pulley set up's. There was a press on, and also a removable pulley. So you are incorrect, it depends on which one he has. Take it in and match it up. You are forgetting about this option and instead indicating that all is the same as yours. A quick reference will show you this mistake.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Dirtrango
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
In 1998-1999 the water pump assembly's had 2 different water pump pulley set up's. There was a press on, and also a removable pulley. So you are incorrect, it depends on which one he has. Take it in and match it up. You are forgetting about this option and instead indicating that all is the same as yours. A quick reference will show you this mistake.
That I didn't know thanks for the correction and info hydra...

Quick Reply: easy way to loosen fan nut?