1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 dodge transmission overheating? 46re

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:09 PM
darilla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 dodge transmission overheating? 46re

Hey folks,
my 99 durango needed to get a new transmission put into it, which i did. twice now in fact. its a 5.9 with the 46re trans. The transmission was slipping in and out of gears after a long haul. I replaced it about a year and a half ago with a reman.

With the new transmission in it, the OD would disengage after about 3 minutes of driving, and shortly thereafter, would send me a transmission temp light. The transmission fluid was not nearly hot enough to trigger this correctly. I assumed it was a governor pressure switch, which at this point in time, i realized i had the wrong transmission in the truck! this transmission was for a 2000 and newer durango. I hooked a DRB tool to it and the reading off the transmission temp was way off, so i knew the switch was working, just not in the right range (it read at about 130 degrees at cold start up). I went down to the spot where i got the transmission and demanded a new one. I got that one a week ago, finished putting it in last night, and its doing THE SAME EXACT THING.

I dont have the DRB tool right now to check the ranges, but I'm wondering if the gave me the wrong trans again. is there a certain bolt pattern i can look for? I'm sure this transmission shop didn't even replace the governor pressure switch on this one either, but i just find it strange it is acting the same way it did with the old one. its obviously getting a reading from the switch, just not the right one? I'm at wits end with this durango, please help me to learn to love again.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:09 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

did you try changing the temperature switch? that sounds like the real problem if it is reading 130 deg when its cold

Quick Reply: 99 dodge transmission overheating? 46re