1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

a few problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 01:17 AM
otgarzā
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a few problems

Recently ive noticed that when turning at a slow speed i hear like a pop sound which i cant really tell where its coming from...but i hear it every once in a while when turning onto other streets and such.

Another problem i got lately was that whenever i start driving in the morning or after work when my engine is cold it will stall at either the first or second stop i make if i dont keep the rpms high. as soon as its warmed up its fine, but if it isnt completely warm the rpms fluctuate in drive when i make the first or second complete stop and sometimes it will stall.

Ive also noticed that when im braking as soon as im about to stop my front end makes a weird clanking sound. ill try to listen to it tomorrow and get more details about this one.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:52 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by otgarzā
Recently ive noticed that when turning at a slow speed i hear like a pop sound which i cant really tell where its coming from...but i hear it every once in a while when turning onto other streets and such.
that is most likely your ball joints. you should probably stop driving it immediately and get those taken care of. There was a recall years ago to replace them because the factory ones would fail and cause the wheel to fall of while driving. my guess is yours never had the recall work done.

check out this thread:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...go-recall.html

Last edited by that_guy; 11-19-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Instant Classic//
Rookie

The stalling issue could be a number of things. I would check the Throttle Position Sensor. Could be a cause, however, I would think if that was the case it would do that at ANY temperature. Im sure shrp will chime in and be able to tell you (almost) exactly.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:12 PM
otgarzā
Captain

I changes the ball joints out twice already, when i first got the truck 3 years ago and again this year i had one go bad and i replaced both. The new ones i put in are greasable...should i grease them up? And as for the tps i put in a new one this year as well...with the tps it would do it at any speed especially while in park.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:37 PM
that_guy
Champion

bad ball joints will definitely make a popping sound like you described, and thats most likely what you are hearing. I assume the ball joints you got have some sort of warranty, so you should be able to get them replaced. I think that moog is the preferred brand of ball joints around here

Old 11-19-2011, 12:52 PM
otgarzā
Captain

Alrite will look at them and get some info. And i forgot to mention i got a new battery too because the terminals on the factory battery broke and everything was corroded. Should i check the wires on the battery?

Old 11-19-2011, 01:18 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

a couple of things i am noticing here, popping sounds are most commonly balljoints as have been said, you said you changed both of them (implying two joints got replaced, i assume the uppers) did you check/replace the lowers??? they are probably gone too if the uppers have been done that many times, check into it, IMO all 4 balljoints should be replaced at once bc if one is gone the rest are likely not far behind.

the stalling issue is most likely one of two things, weak battery, or a bad/dirty IAC, if it has started doing it recently (when the temperature dropped) i would say it is a weak battery, replace it now before it goes completely on you in a parking lot and you have no way to get home. (battery life on these rigs is usually 4 years or so not many last longer than that.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:32 PM
that_guy
Champion

it wouldn't hurt to take the old terminals off the wire and clean (or replace) them and the wire good, to get off any corrosion. This could cause stalling issues, but you say yours is fine once warmed up so I doubt they are the cause of it

Old 11-19-2011, 04:21 PM
otgarzā
Captain

Havent replaced the lowers...i knew i shouldve done it while i was in there. Ill clean up the terminals and the wire ends and well see what happens. Someone also told me i could have moisture in the fuel lines...does that sound rite.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:47 PM
that_guy
Champion

I supposed that's a possibility. you could run a bottle of drygas through it and see if it makes a difference.

Quick Reply: a few problems