Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

how to replace gas filler neck

Old 11-20-2011, 08:40 PM
bellcpm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to replace gas filler neck

1998 durango 4 x 4
Can any body tell me how to remove the gas filler neck. I see there is a mount under but cant seem to be able to remove the filler neck. Does it come out from inside or from the outside thru the gas door. Thanks

Old 11-20-2011, 10:17 PM
GreenDak22
Professional

Don't you have to unscrew the filler neck from the body and then drop the tank?

Old 11-20-2011, 10:52 PM
ToastKing30
Rookie

You have to pull It out from the inside under the vehicle, more than likely you will need to drop the tank and pull it then.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:16 PM
bellcpm

Its connected to tank with two hoses. a 1" id and one 3/4" id hoses and if I remove them I dont need to drop tank. There are no screws holding filler neck to body of car. I'll try again tomorrow.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:04 PM
leebar
Amateur
Question 2002 Dodge Durango fuel filler neck replacement

Hello to all,
I am curious as to how you were able to remove and install the fuel filler neck on your 1st gen Durango as I have not found an easy way to remove the filler neck. The filler neck is mounted with one bolt and slides into the gas cap housing with a rubber grommet. The filler neck is twisted into place above a cross member and above the spare tire. How do you get the blasted thing out? I am close to using a hack saw as I am not seeing the bigger picture and the service manual is no help. I have removed the fuel hoses, spare tire, the left rear fender liner and have the filler neck removed from the gas cap area. Please inform this frustrated person with the answer. Thank you, Leebar.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:04 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm curious why you have to pull it, leaking or something?

Old 11-20-2016, 08:11 AM
leebar
Amateur

A P0440 code recently kept appearing after re-seating the fuel cap. All other electrical components are good. The last computer reset has lasted for a week. Upon inspecting the fuel filler neck, I noticed a lot of rust and the fuel cap had to be turned hard to get a good seat (replaced gas cap four (4) times). The seat is not allowing the cap to set well. Anyway, the hoses are original (after 239,000 miles) and decided to replace hoses and filler neck at the same time. The exact replacement filler neck was under $50.00 from JC Whitney and the hoses are a 1" ID and 3/4" ID fuel lines. What appeared to be a simple project has turned into a royal pain in the A... Plenty of room behind fuel tank and the only thing I now see is the left shock may be an avenue to run the filler neck by. There has to be an easy solution.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:39 PM
leebar
Amateur

Well I'm here to tell you the filler neck is installed. Following are what I had to remove to install the new filler neck// remove: left rear tire, left rear fender liner, left rear shock and left rear stabilizer. The 3/4" and 1" tube slide (with a little force from a pri-bar), across the top left rear shock bracket. I installed the new filler neck from the wheel well side placing the tubing 90 deg bend in front of the shock bracket. Once in place a pri-bar took the tubing right over the bracket and slid into place. Then I was able to push the gas cap end through the plastic housing which holds the filler neck into place at the left rear fender and install the 13 MM bolt. Now, I have yet to find adequate hose to replace old filler neck hose to the gas tank. Best regards, Leebar

Old 11-21-2016, 05:07 PM
leebar
Amateur

I discovered today that the replacement hose is not easy to find which will handle ethanol and gasoline. Therefore, may I recommend for the filler neck replacement hose go to Filler Neck Supply. They have all the hose purchased by the inch and filler necks for many vehicles at a reasonable price. The 2000 and 2002 Dodge Durango 4.7L engine with a 25 Gal Fuel Tank has two hoses/ one hose is 1" x 1-1/8"(Dodge discontinued and no longer available). I found a flexible 1" ID hose which did eventually fit the 1-1/8" end. The other hose, vent tube side of the filler neck, uses a 3/4" ID hose. About 14" long will work and you may have to cut off an inch; better to have too much than not enough. Of course, you will want to install new screw clamps.
Also, for installing the filler neck, place the top shock bolt back in place to use the pri-bar for leverage. If anyone else knows a better way, have at it. I hope I never have to do this again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to replace gas filler neck