water in transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 02:58 AM
paull1973
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry water in transmission fluid

Hi my friends.
Am a very worried man.
my dodge durango V8 Magnum(4.7 ltr engine)2000 model has mixed radiator water with the transmission oil.i took it to the local mechanic who told me the radiator is faulty and its the reason why the water and transmission fluid sre mixing as we could see the radiator water had turned milky.
I replaced the radiator and drained the gearbox fluid .The mechanic opened the pan and let the fluid drai,put in fresh fluid,let the engine run for like 15 minutes,drained it gain and put fresh fluid and sealed the pan.
Does this solve my problem or i have dissaster waiting for my gearbox?
Am driving this car now and it feels just fine.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:58 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

sounds like your mechanic knows his stuff, the only way for tranny fluid and coolant to mix is in the radiator, if there is a crack between the trans cooler and the main radiator (for the engine coolin part).

did he put the trans in nuetral when he ran the truck? if not the pump didnt come on and the fluid didnt get pumped through anything, otherwise i think he did everything right.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1

He has to run it in Neutral and through all the gears. Also make sure he only uses ATF+4 transmission fluid. I would have the fluid and filters changed again just because.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:52 PM
paull1973

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
sounds like your mechanic knows his stuff, the only way for tranny fluid and coolant to mix is in the radiator, if there is a crack between the trans cooler and the main radiator (for the engine coolin part).

did he put the trans in nuetral when he ran the truck? if not the pump didnt come on and the fluid didnt get pumped through anything, otherwise i think he did everything right.
Thanks guys.And if i may take you back a little,are there any chances that the leakage occured in the gearbox?Am a little uncomfortable just for the fact that some friend of mine insisted that the leak is in the gear box and water and transmission oil will mix again before long and the radiator shall be full of transmission oil again.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:31 PM
ZCR1
Professional

No coolant runs through the transmission. ATF is pumped to a cooler in the radiator and back to the trans. So, besides a bad radiator, the only way I can really think you would get water in the transmission is if your submerging a trans with bad seals, driving through deep water.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:07 AM
paull1973

Originally Posted by ZCR1
No coolant runs through the transmission. ATF is pumped to a cooler in the radiator and back to the trans. So, besides a bad radiator, the only way I can really think you would get water in the transmission is if your submerging a trans with bad seals, driving through deep water.
Hi.
i never drove through any waters.am in a country where there is no rain throughout the year.UAE.So how did i end up eith water in the transmission and my radiator coolant full of oil and looks like strawberry milkshake?

Old 11-27-2011, 09:58 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the only possible way for coolant and transmission fluid to contaminate each other is through the radiator, if that has been replaced you already took care of the problem, dont fret over it at this point as its already taken care of.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:02 AM
ZCR1
Professional

The cooler in the radiator is a liquid to liquid cooler meaning the atf transfers it's heat to the antifreeze not the air. So if there is a leak in the cooler fluid can then transfer from one system to the other based on whichever has more pressure at the time. When the transmission is pumping, it Will have a little more pressure than the coolant system forcing some atf into the coolant. When the truck is shut off the coolant system remains pressurized until it cools; during which it forces coolant into the transmission.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:13 AM
paull1973

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
the only possible way for coolant and transmission fluid to contaminate each other is through the radiator, if that has been replaced you already took care of the problem, dont fret over it at this point as its already taken care of.
Thanks so much for your assurance.i can breath some relief now.i was even thinking of disposing it off.coz one mechanic told me the leak is in the gearbox and i need to drop it and have it checked.that had pissed me off.Ovehauling the gearbox?noooo.parts are hardly available here.almost dealt it with the scrapyard.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Magnum4406
Professional

4.7 has a 45rfe which pumps in park, also you check fluid level in park. The 3.9, 5.2 and 5.9's have the 904 727 variants (A500, A518, 42rh/e, 46rh/e) don't pump in park and get checked in neutral

Quick Reply: water in transmission fluid