1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission Shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboStixx
Will this work for reverse as well?! To make see if something Mechanical is wrong with reverse?

It just clunks really hard SOMETIMES, not all the time and when it does do it, its always hot so thinking it MIGHT be after a sensor goes into Open Loop...
Yes your trans will work in this manual disconnected mode.

Most likely the problem you are having with the "clunk" is your backlash on the rear differential is out of spec's. Basically when you engage the trans there is no slow start when warm or no bubbles in the system (cold start) so when you engage it the first time it has to compress hydraulic fluid and air and thus is the reason it doesn't "cluck". After the bubbles are gone and the fluid is ready you shift it in and it immediately goes into drive or reverse with no buffer and the movement because the backlash between gears is large it slams the gears into place and gives you the "clunk" you hear.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:36 AM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, worst is going into reverse from any gear including park, sometimes putting into Drive does give you a little jub but not really anything major, how do I correct the specs in the rear differential? As long as I don't have to get all new gears...

Old 12-09-2011, 03:34 PM
99_Durango_pos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo way to hijack my thread...

Old 12-09-2011, 09:54 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

You do know I asked a question pertaining the the advice hydra gave, not going to start a new thread to ask about if the advice given in your thread will work in reverse. Then when I got my answer I had a question about that answer..

If I ask a question about the advice given to you thinking it might work in my truck, and I do it by starting a new thread, thats just clogging up the forum, not trying to hijack your post, just saw his advice and was like "oh this might work for me!"

Last edited by TurboStixx; 12-09-2011 at 09:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jawsh (06-24-2021)
Old 12-10-2011, 12:44 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

No 99 Durango is correct, you hijacked his thread.

You should have opened a new thread and used this thread as reference or a simple quote from this thread. Just because you think this thread is like your issue doesn't mean it is the same thing. Now you know it is different you should start a new thread, right?

Start a new thread and I will give you my answer. This thread is for transmission diagnostics, not gearing.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:40 AM
TurboStixx
Captain

Did start a new thread, originally my question was about transmission shifting, but you advised me it is gearing not transmission

Old 12-10-2011, 02:13 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Here is that thread in case anyone asks: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...6-gearing.html

Old 12-10-2011, 02:23 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
OD wont engage until the trans is warmed up, im not sure beyond that
What is exactly warmed up (just for clarification)? I always have O/D even when it is 15 degrees and I just started it for the first time that day, I normally don't do this (I let it run 4-8min) but I was late for class...

Last edited by adukart; 12-10-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:41 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

letting the engine warm up has no effect on the transmission(and really is good for nothing more than wasting gas, and getting heat into the cabin sooner into your drive, i dont warm up for more than a minute myself)

warmed up in this case is referring to the transmission, when it reaches a certain temperature, im willing to bet that you actually DONT have O/D when you start up at 15 degrees F, bc i know for a fact when i start driving and its in the 30s i dont have OD right away. The trans warms up AS YOU DRIVE, and that is it, if you are not moving the trans is not warming up, this is why it is best to just start the truck, jump in and drive, taking it easy until everything starts to warm up (the water temp gauge is a good estimate if you do it this way)

Old 12-10-2011, 01:01 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

well I live on a road where the speed limit is 55 and it does go into O/D no questions asked, who knows maybe mine is a little off...........

Quick Reply: Transmission Shifting problems