1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission Shifting problems

Old 12-10-2011, 03:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Most likely it is off a little, but that is ok.

But Sharps is slightly incorrect about something, see warming the engine on a 42-44-46RE transmissions will not circulate the transmission oil while in park. Now the 45RFE and 545RFE transmissions do circulate the transmission fluid in park gear.

See in all these automatic transmissions they share a radiator that has a few tubes in it that actually transmission fluid runs in. Yes the radiator has a 2 sections in it, mostly for coolant but a few fins of transmission fluid as well.

This is there for 2 reasons.
1. To use the engine coolant to help warm the transmission and get it to operations temp faster when it is cold outside.
2. To help keep the transmission cool when it is up to temperature.

If you warm up the trucks engine then when you place it into drive with the RE transmissions (if this is what you have) the now warm fluid makes it's way to the transmission and warms it up therefore allowing it to shift without overdrive delayed lockup when it is cold. Now the PCM should still lock it down out of Overdrive until the temp is reached and for some reason it is not in yours.

See it is just a protection attribute that is built into your truck so that you don't take a chance in burning up your transmission with fluid that is not flowing through the transmission lubricating it as fast as it should because of it's cold viscosity at cold temperatures. You could try to ohm test the sensor to ensure it is reading correctly.

TRANSMISSION FLUID TEMPERATURE
THERMISTOR
Transmission fluid temperature readings are supplied
to the transmission control module by the thermistor.
The temperature readings are used to control
engagement of the fourth gear overdrive clutch, the
converter clutch, and governor pressure. Normal
resistance value for the thermistor at room temperature
is approximately 1000 ohms.
The PCM prevents engagement of the converter
clutch and overdrive clutch, when fluid temperature
is below approximately 10°C (50°F).
If fluid temperature exceeds 126°C (260°F), the
PCM causes a 4-3 downshift and engage the converter
clutch. Engagement is according to the third
gear converter clutch engagement schedule.
The overdrive OFF lamp in the instrument panel
illuminates when the shift back to third occurs. The
transmission will not allow fourth gear operation
until fluid temperature decreases to approximately
110°C (230°F).
The thermistor is part of the governor pressure
sensor assembly and is immersed in transmission
fluid at all times.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 12-10-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Rshosted
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hydro shocker,

I'm looking everywhere for that 8 pin plug. Similar up issue posted. I found one plug one frame rail top in engine compartment but the 99 Durango would not run with it unplugged (apparently not the correct one). I'm looking everywhere for the 8 pin plug. I see the linkge but do not see any 8 pin plug near it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan

Old 03-03-2013, 04:56 AM
Green71R/T

99 durango 44RE.Thank you for the information.Transmission had reverse and low,worked manually with 8 pin plug disconnected.changed output speed sender,now works properly.

Last edited by Green71R/T; 03-03-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:28 PM
Jonathan Wright
Default I unplugged the harness now...

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
First check the fluid level when HOT on flat ground. Check in neutral with engine running and select all gears for at least 2 seconds to get any air bubbles out.

There is a way to see if your issue is electrical or mechanical on your transmission 42-44RE. Testing instructions for 42RE, 44RE, 46RE, 47RE.

By doing this you will not have an automatic transmission, you will have to shift it completely manual and you will have no Overdrive!

Get under truck on the drivers side and unplug the 8 pin harness from the transmission near the linkage input into the trans, (this is the main plug to the transmission). Start your truck and back out or what not. Now drop the gear shift selector without stopping all the way down from reverse (or Park) to 1st and hit the gas. You should be going now running in first gear. Now shift with the selector to 2nd gear, then into Drive. If everything shifts fine then your issue is electronic, if it shifts the same then it is mechanical.

If the problem is electric:
1. Replace the Output Transmission Speed Sensor.
2. Check the 8 pin harness you disconnected for corrosion.
3. Replace the governor solenoid and transducer on the valve body.
I am having a problem getting it to shift out of first. I hI have to romp on it and let off the gas to get it to shift then it's really sluggish. No power... unplugged the 8 pin now it starts off in 2nd and slips until it gets up to speed. Going to drop the pan and filter tomorrow and pull governor solenoid and disassemble it and clean it and put it back together and see where that gets me. Anyone else had the same result? If so what's the fix other than overhaul or swap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Shifting problems