1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission Shifting problems

Old 12-04-2011, 07:17 PM
99_Durango_pos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission Shifting problems

Hello all,
I joined this forum after my 99 Durango 4x4 5.2L Automatic Transmission started experiencing shifting problems. The problem started a few weeks ago when I noticed at random times while i was accelerating from a parked position it would take longer than usual to shift from 1st to 2nd I believe about 2-3 seconds longer where the rpms would jump up slightly and then it would shift and be fine. It only happened a few times and randomly. But recently in the last two days it has gotten drastically worse, sometimes to the point where it would be hard to accelerate from a stopped position. The rpm's would go up but the vehicle barely moved, eventually it went into gear and started moving along, but then when the next gear was ready to engage it would kind of almost seem like it slips into neutral/1st or 2nd and jump a little bit. Sometimes it would almost red line before it shifted. Once out of the lower gears it seemed to drive flawlessly of course until u had to stop again or slow down to the point where the tranny downshifted, then the problem would re-occur. It doesn't happen the same way every time, sometimes it would drive from a stopped position fine and get into 2nd and other times it just wont fully engage. It almost seems like i was driving a standard with the clutch partially engaged... Anyways im looking for any possibilities to fix this myself before I drive it to the scrapyard. The needle on the dash doesnt line up with the selected gear either, If my memory serves me right it seems like it has gotten farther off from where it should be over time..

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,
Mike

Old 12-04-2011, 09:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the needle on the dash has an adjustment **** behind the kick panel under the steering wheel, get the truck in gear and then adjust the needle as needed to get it in the right spot (all the locations may not be able to line up properly)

the shifting problem could be the transmission output speed sensor, its on the drivers side of the transmission tailshaft, i believe it is a $20-$25 sensor, i would just replace it.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Mike, sounds like your transmission is starting off in a high gear from a stop. Meaning you maybe starting in 3rd gear and not 1st. I would try changing the governor solenoid and transducer on the valve body. Then replace the filter and adjust the bands if needed. Also check the lever at the valve body shaft. The lever could be loose.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First check the fluid level when HOT on flat ground. Check in neutral with engine running and select all gears for at least 2 seconds to get any air bubbles out.

There is a way to see if your issue is electrical or mechanical on your transmission 42-44RE. Testing instructions for 42RE, 44RE, 46RE, 47RE.

By doing this you will not have an automatic transmission, you will have to shift it completely manual and you will have no Overdrive!

Get under truck on the drivers side and unplug the 8 pin harness from the transmission near the linkage input into the trans, (this is the main plug to the transmission). Start your truck and back out or what not. Now drop the gear shift selector without stopping all the way down from reverse (or Park) to 1st and hit the gas. You should be going now running in first gear. Now shift with the selector to 2nd gear, then into Drive. If everything shifts fine then your issue is electronic, if it shifts the same then it is mechanical.

If the problem is electric:
1. Replace the Output Transmission Speed Sensor.
2. Check the 8 pin harness you disconnected for corrosion.
3. Replace the governor solenoid and transducer on the valve body.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:21 PM
99_Durango_pos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hydra I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. The fluid is already topped off as I checked it when I first noticed the "slippage?"...

Old 12-08-2011, 06:01 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will this work for reverse as well?! To make see if something Mechanical is wrong with reverse? It just clunks really hard SOMETIMES, not all the time and when it does do it, its always hot so thinking it MIGHT be after a sensor goes into Open Loop...

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
First check the fluid level when HOT on flat ground. Check in neutral with engine running and select all gears for at least 2 seconds to get any air bubbles out.

There is a way to see if your issue is electrical or mechanical on your transmission 42-44RE. Testing instructions for 42RE, 44RE, 46RE, 47RE.

By doing this you will not have an automatic transmission, you will have to shift it completely manual and you will have no Overdrive!

Get under truck on the drivers side and unplug the 8 pin harness from the transmission near the linkage input into the trans, (this is the main plug to the transmission). Start your truck and back out or what not. Now drop the gear shift selector without stopping all the way down from reverse (or Park) to 1st and hit the gas. You should be going now running in first gear. Now shift with the selector to 2nd gear, then into Drive. If everything shifts fine then your issue is electronic, if it shifts the same then it is mechanical.

If the problem is electric:
1. Replace the Output Transmission Speed Sensor.
2. Check the 8 pin harness you disconnected for corrosion.
3. Replace the governor solenoid and transducer on the valve body.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:28 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

open loop is unmonitored function, closed loop is monitored just to make sure you are using the terminology in the correct way.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:47 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

Thanks shrp, wasn't 100% on the terminology! Thanks.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:49 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

Is there a sensor that goes into closed loop after the trans or motor warms up that might effect the shifting?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:58 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

OD wont engage until the trans is warmed up, im not sure beyond that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Shifting problems