Browse all: Steering & Suspension
Print Wikipost

Removing Power Steering Pump Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:04 PM
mickinirvine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Power Steering Pump Pulley

I'm setting out to replace my power steering pump. Pretty Good with projects this size and have watched a nice video where they replaced a 2001 Durango PSP. Mine is a 99 and the face of the pulley on mine is solid. The one in the video seemed to be open so that the bolts were accessible.

Is there a special tool I need to replace the pulley? Or the face of the pulley? I understand the rest of the project, but as it often is, what seems to be the easiest part is hanging me up.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you sure it doesn't come on the new pulley?

If not there could be a set screw or you will need a puller. A lot of the time the place where you bought the pump can help you in removing it. Also make sure you use the right fluid, only a dealer call tell you if you are supposed to be using Brown PS fluid by running your Vin number.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:18 PM
mickinirvine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the pulley off using a rented removal tool. I got everything put back together last night but waited until this morning to start it up. Now its not turning over!! HELP!

I had to replace the two connections (grounds?) coming off the battery that bolt into the base of the new pump and the connectors weren't exact and I'm wondering about them. Would that cause a problem like this?

Ideas?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The solvents in the PS fluid does corrode contacts and there is some movement of the wires because the engine fan is right there blowing on it. There is 2 ways of fixing the issue,

1. Install new cables.
2. Cut off the lugs, strip back about 3/4 inch of the wire coat and you can get new wire lugs the same size at Home Depot or what not and crimp them on then solder the connection and seal and re-bolt.

Quick Reply: Removing Power Steering Pump Pulley