1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

po522

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 02:05 PM
gldoyle
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default po522

Wifes 03 Durango stalled at a stop sign but restarted and she got to the house . Now it started , ran for a few minutes and stalled ( like it was choking out or not getting gas ) and now wont start . Throws code po522 which has to do with oil pressure sensor . Has plenty of oil although it is time to change it .Anyone have any thoughts or should I just replace sensor and see what happens ?

Old 03-08-2015, 12:07 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Was the check engine light on before it stalled? What engine are we talking about here?

Old 03-08-2015, 09:16 PM
gldoyle
Amateur

Originally Posted by that_guy
Was the check engine light on before it stalled? What engine are we talking about here?

Sorry about that , I think it `s the 4.7 and she said nothing about the engine light being on , but that`s not to say it wasn`t .She did say it has happened before when she was stopped on a uphill incline and it died just like this time , but I don`t know why that would happen because of the incline . I did go ahead and replace the oil pressure sensor but it still won`t start . I know next I have to check for fuel at the rail and spark at the plug . I really hope it`s getting fuel as I dread that I might have to drop the tank .If all that checks out I don`t know where to go from there . It`s sitting at my daughters house 70 miles from me so it`s not the easiest to get to work on it .Any suggestions on my next direction if the fuel and spark show they`re ok ? Thanks

Old 03-08-2015, 10:26 PM
that_guy
Champion

Sometimes a weak battery can cause problems like that as can the IAC. Try holding the gas open a bit when cranking, that would rule out the IAC. Crank position sensors can cause problems such as stalling too, but I'm not sure how relevant that is with the 4.7.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:19 PM
gldoyle
Amateur

Ok , today I hooked up a gage to the rail and had no pressure at all . Swapped out relay with another and still nothing . I could not find a fuse for the fuel pump anywhere . Is there a fuse I need to find or a filter that could be stopped up someplace or should I just go ahead and plan on dropping the tank and replace pump ?

Last edited by gldoyle; 03-11-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:42 PM
that_guy
Champion

From the diagram in the FSM it looks like there are two relays for the fuel pump (no idea why) as well as an ASD relay, and ASD fuse, and several ignition fuses that could possibly keep the pump from running. This is in the underhood panel. There is also a fuse box under the dashboard, part of which is accessible through the little door and the rest of which is only accessible from under the dash.

Also, the filter is a part of the pump, so to change it you have to change the pump. Stupid if you ask me, but that's how it is.

Here's a link to the FSM pdfs: https://www.mediafire.com/?xu9h0gt9bdcn6

Old 03-11-2015, 10:07 PM
gldoyle
Amateur

Wow , I can`t believe I missed that second relay . Just overlooked it I guess . This is a stupid question but what does the ASD stand for ? Guess I`ll have to make another trip out tomorrow to check for that other relay and ASD fuse (the car is 65 miles away )Thanks for the quick reply . Wish me luck that's it .

Old 03-11-2015, 11:46 PM
that_guy
Champion

ASD is Auto ShutDown. It interrupts the power to the fuel and ignition systems for security and in case of an accident.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:30 AM
gldoyle
Amateur

Well , got it towed home so I can work on it . Can`t do it long distance like that . First thing I looked for was the second pump relay . Just my luck (?) I have no second relay nor do I have a ASD relay or fuse ( ???) . I did recheck pressure to see if the tow home might have shook something up and had 50 lbs at the gauge . Hit the starter and it immediately fired up , then slowed and almost died ( had to give it gas to keep it running ) then leveled out and idled ( a little rough ) . While this was happening the pressure gauge went from 50 down to 20 , slowly back to 50 then settled in at 50 . Why the pump started working after the tow , I don`t know , and I still feel the pump is faulty because of the pressure drop then back to normal . I am going to clean the throttle body , sensors and put in new plugs and see if that helps the rough idle , then attempt to verify it is the pump that is defective . So far it is still starting . Any thoughts ?

Old 03-15-2015, 01:41 PM
gldoyle
Amateur

Well today we are back to no fuel pressure on the gauge at the rail . Relay is good , all fuses check out so I guess it is pointing to the pump . Dang my luck !

Quick Reply: po522