1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Gas leak locations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas leak locations?

Yesterday I got into my D after work and started it up normally, put the heat on & drove home. About 10 minutes into the ride I stopped at a light and faintly smelled gas, seemed like it was coming thru the vents. When i pulled away the smell was gone. Stopped again and it came back. When I got home I popped the hood and looked around but could find nothing noticable, and there's no real gas smell either. I crawled under the truck and looked at pretty much anything that I could find but didn;t see / smell anything.

This morning it starts up normal and drives OK, but there is a distinct gas smell coming from the heater vents when the truck is stopped. I can't say that I've noticed my gas mileage being off, maybe a little lower than normal but it's also been extremely cold (< 10 degrees) for a few days, and I've used 4WD a few times on slick roads.

Is there any "common" places to look for a leak? Like I said, the fuel rail appears dry as do the lines going to it. I figured tonight I'd drive it home & let it sit for awhile then check the fuel rail for pressure to see if it's bleeding off when not running which would indicate a leak, but I don't know how long I'd expect it to stay pressurized anyways.

Truck is a 2003 SLT w/ a 4.7

Also, is there any other furel filter on these (stock) other than the one located in the tank?

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Bob

Old 01-05-2012, 01:31 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the only fuel filter is the one located in the tank

if i were you i would start tracing the evap system lines, they are part of a vacuum system which is designed to trap and store fuel vapor, if they are leaking bad enough to smell i would expect a CEL, but it is always possible that they will leak without one.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Also check your vacuum lines as well. The Purge valve is under you battery.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will do, thanks for the suggestions. I didn't think there was another filter other than the tank. Still don't understand that logic.

No CEL (yet). Purge valve line was found / fixed a few months ago. (BTW thanks for that one Hydra, I'd never have found a split line there.)

Bob

Old 01-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Durango03
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the tube under the D right around under your drivers seat. There should be a hose that is larger on 1 side than the other, look for cracks. Mine was cracked. I think I have pics somewhere of it. I will post if I find them.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Durango03
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This pic shows what you see when under the Rig.

Name:  DurangoCrackedHose.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  53.9 KB

This pic shows the Cracked tube along with the parts I bought to repair it.

Name:  DurangoHoseParts.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  75.0 KB

Finished the tube assembly

Name:  DurangoHoseComparison.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  77.5 KB

Tube assembly installed

Name:  DurangoHoseRepairComplete.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  DurangoHoseRepairComplete1.jpg