1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Looking at a used D, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 11:38 PM
grstudent
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a used D, any advice?

Hey all, first off, looking at a 2000-2001 durango, adn looking for some advice. I am looking for a Durango with a 5.9, and 3rd row seating. most of the ones im looking at are around 80k miles, and priced about $9.5 - $10k.

Is there anything I should look for, any warning signs of problems, or problems that start popping up around the 80-100k milage mark? Any advice or comments are hugely appreciated, and i look forward to going the D crowd.

p.s. - whats teh power difference between the 4.7 and the 5.9. The 4.7s are more prevalent around here.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2006, 02:48 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional
Default RE: Looking at a used D, any advice?

personaly I bought my 5.9 because the towing.. I wanted to tow my boat down to the lake on weekend and a jeep and a 4.7 LT would not do it for me the 5.2 was still too small. So I went with the 5.9... if you get the smaller v8 you will lose about 20 horse I think it is differnce between the 5.9 but you will also get a little better gass miilage.. I have done a little to my durango like 3inch flow master exhaust and intake but not much but I still only get around 13-14 miles to the gallon.. but I love IT..... so its all up to you.. but I also bought my 2000 5.9 SLT for about with 65000 miles for about 10.5 at a dealer so I could get a loan.. but around 80-100000 miles you might start to get basics done like replace hoses and stuff. but I would have it checked out by a Mechanic they will do it for prety cheep.. for sure check the breaks and the routers.. I didn't and that was the first thing I had to replace.... good luck buying and hope this helped a little..

Old 07-29-2006, 04:34 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: grstudent

Hey all, first off, looking at a 2000-2001 durango, adn looking for some advice. I am looking for a Durango with a 5.9, and 3rd row seating. most of the ones im looking at are around 80k miles, and priced about $9.5 - $10k.

Is there anything I should look for, any warning signs of problems, or problems that start popping up around the 80-100k milage mark? Any advice or comments are hugely appreciated, and i look forward to going the D crowd.

p.s. - whats teh power difference between the 4.7 and the 5.9. The 4.7s are more prevalent around here.

Thanks
The best of the Gen1 Ds are the 2003s because they were the latest, most refined and newest Ds made before the ill-fated switch to the current Gen2 style. All the Ds are reliable, but I would go 2000+ since there were a few other unique issues worked out on the 98/99s. As for the power plant, I've seen some smoking hot and fast 4.7s, but there is no replacement for actual cubic inches. The 4.7 has some unique properties while the 5.9 is the same 360 Dodge has made for 30 or 40 years. Rock solid. I have 155,000+ miles on my 5.9l 2000 D and it is still going strong. Wanta race?!

Things to watch for: has the transmission and diffs been routinely serviced on schedule (repairs can be costly, but a good service history will mean it will be as good as new) and have the front BJs already been replaced under the DC recall? Other than that, how old is the battery (the begin to fail cause goofy issues until replaced), door speakers fall apart yet (they do that, are not the best constructed) and is the AC working well. That's about it.

Oh yea, on all but the 2003, the brakes sorta suck regardless of the year. The '03 was 4 wheel disk and much improved.

IndyDurango

Old 07-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Digitoxin
Professional

I like what IndyDurango had to say. At 80,000+ Just to add a little to it, I would look close at the pass side carpet and under it if you can for signs of a past/present heater core leak, and glance at the a/c fittings and other bolts for hints of past work possibly done. oh, and look around at the body bolts and paint for past repairs. Good luck! hope you fine the Durango your looking for.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking to get a D in that price range I can tell you that you may want to find one with lower mileage. I got my 2000 5.9 SLT for 10,500 just shy of 30,000 miles and have had a few minor problems and one big problem, the tranny went out at 35,000 miles just outside the lemon law warranty on it [:'(] . Like J said maintenance is key for the tranny but also equally important with the rest of it. You will like it but if you live in a hot environment be prepared for long waits for the interior too be cooled off because the a/c sucks. I don't know how well you know cars but I would suggest pulling the plugs to ensure that they aren't oil fouled and if they aren't do they look new because in most cases I wouldn't expect a dealership to put new plugs in unless there is a problem and they are trying to hide it. DO NOT BUY IF THE PLUGS ARE FOULED UP! Check the fluid levels and smell the oil to make sure the engine isn't "Burnt" These are just a few things that are vital when buying used.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:48 AM
grstudent

Thanks for all the info so far. I'm in michigan right now, for the next few years. I found a place near me that has like 6 durangos, al under 10k. I just hope they take trades, as its a credit union lot. Ill have to call them monday. I hope to get a D in the next few days, within 2 weeks. I'll keep you all informed, as im sure ill have more questions, and will want to brag when I finally get it.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:43 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the info so far. I'm in michigan right now, for the next few years. I found a place near me that has like 6 durangos, al under 10k. I just hope they take trades, as its a credit union lot. Ill have to call them monday. I hope to get a D in the next few days, within 2 weeks. I'll keep you all informed, as im sure ill have more questions, and will want to brag when I finally get it.
Go go go! Welcome to the world of D.

There are quite a few really good Durango forums on the web (I have found this one to be included in that) and you may want to check out the National and Local chapters of the Durango Owners Clubs.

IndyDurango

Old 07-30-2006, 08:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Go for the 5.9L!

4.7L has a sludge problem. 5.2L is good. But if a 5.9L or an R/T is avalible DO IT!

Old 07-30-2006, 10:44 PM
grstudent
Default seats interchangeable?

OK, heres kind of a stupid question, but oh well. all the durangos that the Credit union has, are all cloth seats. I would like leather, sometime, if not soon. Now, are the leather seats interchangeable with the cloth seats? what about year to year? thanks again for all your help so far.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: seats interchangeable?

OK, heres kind of a stupid question, but oh well. all the durangos that the Credit union has, are all cloth seats. I would like leather, sometime, if not soon. Now, are the leather seats interchangeable with the cloth seats? what about year to year? thanks again for all your help so far.
Dude!

If you want a leather package then wait and buy one. If you just want to dive in, then buy the regular.

Quick Reply: Looking at a used D, any advice?