1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Next project...

Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Next project...

Ok guys, so this weekend is going to be fun. New Shocks on the rear, New leaf springs, t/s lift, drivers side front hub, and valve steam seals. Shooting for all in one day! OH BOY!

now I am wondering about my rough idle. Its not too rough but sometimes can be. Feels like the tiniest miss ever. Could it be because my plugs are being fouled due to oil slipping in through the valve stem seals? Just not sure if those valve stem steals could be what is also causing the tiniest miss in the world.

I have replaced the TPS (twice about to defect the one I have now and get a new one)
Replaced the IAC
Replaced the Throttle Body gasket and Air Hat Gasket
Plenum Gasket Replaced
Plugs and Wires, cap and rotor replaced about...5k miles ago..

Also (for you big engine guys out there) I have the compressor to push in the air to keep the valve stem up, just wondering, is it 100 or 150psi to hold that valve stem up?

I will be sure to post some pictures of the before and after, you will see a significant change!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:03 PM
moparboy74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboStixx
Ok guys, so this weekend is going to be fun. New Shocks on the rear, New leaf springs, t/s lift, drivers side front hub, and valve steam seals. Shooting for all in one day! OH BOY!

now I am wondering about my rough idle. Its not too rough but sometimes can be. Feels like the tiniest miss ever. Could it be because my plugs are being fouled due to oil slipping in through the valve stem seals? Just not sure if those valve stem steals could be what is also causing the tiniest miss in the world.

I have replaced the TPS (twice about to defect the one I have now and get a new one)
Replaced the IAC
Replaced the Throttle Body gasket and Air Hat Gasket
Plenum Gasket Replaced
Plugs and Wires, cap and rotor replaced about...5k miles ago..

Also (for you big engine guys out there) I have the compressor to push in the air to keep the valve stem up, just wondering, is it 100 or 150psi to hold that valve stem up?

I will be sure to post some pictures of the before and after, you will see a significant change!
Do post pics.

Keeping the valve up doesn't take much. Ya gotta figure there's little clearance anyway with the guides, so under 90 psi is fine, in fact much lower would be OK but my compressor is set to 90 and I've done valve seals with no problems. Another method, and I've done this before, is use a length of rope in the spark plug hole/combustion chamber. Either way will work.

Hint: Keep a small diameter magnetic retriever handy just in case you forget to to move the air fitting to the next hole/cylinder (like I did one time), and the valve starts to drop. Even if it drops a little chances are it won't fall into the cylinder, again keeping in mind the clearance with the guide. You can then use the retriever to pull it back up, then change the hose/fitting over to that cylinder.

The valve locks and whatnot might take a little coercion to move but be patient. Also, when reinstalling the locks use bearing grease on the grooves. Compress the spring and retainer, then gently put the locks in place with the grease on them. The grease will help keep the locks on the valve stem. Use the magnetic retriever for the locks, too, grease each lock half then use the retriever to install them.

Good luck.

Last edited by moparboy74; 04-14-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next project...