1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Dies/stalls when coming to a stop or turning, backfires at times

Old 07-09-2012, 11:56 PM
davidbarge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dies/stalls when coming to a stop or turning, backfires at times

I have a 2001 5.9 Durango R/T with 183,xxx miles. It ran fine up until last weekend. Suddenly it started to do a sort of Hiccup or stutter if you will. NO engine light, & I took it to a auto parts store and they plugged into it and NO codes. It is progressively getting worse too. It will backfire at times at any rate of speed. Mostly it will die/stall when coming to a stop or going slow as to make a turn onto another street or pulling into a driveway. Still NO codes or engine light!
I have had 2 local repair shops take a look at it with NO answers. Left both repair shops with the mechanics scratching their heads. I finally took it to a certified Dodge dealership & paid the $115 for a diagnostic. Would you believe I got the same answer, don't know what's causing it to do that! The dealership recommended a good old fashion tune-up. New spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor, PCV valve with hose, and a fuel injection cleaner with a throttle body cleansing. I also cleaned the coil with some steel wool when I got it back home along with recharging the cold air intake that was already installed when I bought the Durango from a private party. I am the 2nd owner and this RT is in very good condition still, visually.
Unfortunately for now, the issue is still presenting itself. It died as I was pulling out of the dealership! I am open for any suggestions as to remedy this. I live in Denver, CO so I am not at sea level in case that makes any difference in this situation.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:32 AM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the map sensor.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

the stalling could be caused by a bad battery and/or poor battery connections. I've personally had that and lots of other weird electrical problems all be caused by a loose battery terminal so definitely check those and get the battery load tested before you start shelling out money.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:05 PM
srch4me
All Star

Shouldn't be the battery iffy it starts right back up. Especially since the alternator will keep the engine running without the battery

Old 07-10-2012, 01:16 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

srch, you have been around here long enough that you should know that a battery can have plenty of juice to crank the engine over and still be too weak to keep the truck running right.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 PM
srch4me
All Star

Maybe I'm thinking wrong. I thought the alternator was supposed to keep the truck running and charge the battery. I know that a bad battery will cause issues. But I can see thinking about it now that siting still would draw power differently. Ehh... No more posting til I've had my coffee and am fully awake lol. So check battery and terminals and check map sensor.

Try to get a computer on it while your driving and see what the engine is reading out

Old 07-10-2012, 02:01 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

These D's eat battery's like stated above check your battery along with the cables

Old 07-11-2012, 12:47 PM
davidbarge

I took it back to the dealer this morning. They said they would look at it again, no charge since their suggestion didn't fix the issue. Battery has checked out just fine, although I am not sure about all the connections or cables to the battery. I'll give the dealership a call to ask them to check all battery connections.
Thank you guys for all your responses. I'll keep you all posted..

Old 07-13-2012, 11:32 AM
davidbarge
Default Durango R/T PCM

Should I replace the PCM myself or have the dealership do it for me? The dealer said that they have to install the new PCM and run a systems check after install. Is this true or can I just install the powertrain control module myself...?

Old 07-13-2012, 11:50 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if you get the PCM the install is as simple as plugging it in, however it needs to be programmed first in order to work properly, most places selling them will ask for your information and do this for you before sending it to you. if they dont ask for it dont buy from them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dies/stalls when coming to a stop or turning, backfires at times