1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

03 durango 4.7 engine tick

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:09 AM
jrandal79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 durango 4.7 engine tick

My 03 Durango which has the 4.7L started ticking around 65k miles, but only in the winter and only for 30 seconds or so...now with 112k miles on it, the noise starts immediately after engine start, is louder, and mostly goes away after a minute or 2. I have read online that this is a common noise but could be several different issues. Can anyone please help? To me it sounds like a few lifters are knocking. Please don't respond to this post if you think its the oil filter...i read that a couple times and that is just ridiculous.

Thanks

Old 07-15-2012, 01:56 AM
TravisN.
Rookie

I would have to say my first guess would be lifters, especially since it started only when it was cold in winter. What weight/ kind of oil are you using, and have you tried any other weights?

Old 07-15-2012, 06:32 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

this is a common thing on the 4.7 because the hydraulic lash adjusters need some time to pump up on a cold start, an oil filter with a bad anti-drainback valve WILL aggravate the problem and make it worse, low oil pressure will make it last longer, low oil will cause it to last longer/indefinitely.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:21 AM
2000DurangoOwner
Amateur

My 2000 does the same thing. After 30 seconds or so, all engine ticking noises are gone. Mine tries to die after a cold start, and has a miss for about 30-45 seconds. Guess I had better put those new plugs in

Old 07-17-2012, 12:10 PM
timgalla

I will inject into this conversation the problem I had with the same noise on 03 Durango. Is common problem. Maybe not your problem but easy to check if you haven't already.
I had a tick that started and would go away when engine got hot, but noise eventually got worse. I thought lifers at first. Problem was broken exhaust maifold studs.Makes very similar noise to stuck lifters. When I fixed studs, noise was and still is gone.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, engine tick is usually either a small exhaust leak, or lifters that are sticky and not pumping back up.

I have solved the sticky lifter tick a few times using a product called Seafoam. Essentially when you are planning your next oil and filter change, buy a can of Seafoam. Read the directions but basically you add it to the engine oil and run and drive the engine so it circulates with the oil.

What it's doing it cleaning the oil system by dissolving the buildup or varnish and sludge that tends to cling to things like the inside of lifters and rocker trunions and such.

Once it's been run through the system according to the directions, drain the oil, maybe flush with a quart of cheap thin oil, and then perform your oil change as usual. New oil, filter...yata yata yata.

Then go for another drive, and report back about the engine tick.

Quick Reply: 03 durango 4.7 engine tick