1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

heli coil help

Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM
cshaf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heli coil help

need to heli coil 98 durango caliper pins stripped, i see here that i need m9x1.25 heli coil kit,is this correct?. what size drill bit would i use?. thanks for help..

Old 07-28-2012, 12:24 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Here's the TSB for the heli-coils; it should have everything you'll need listed.

Front Caliper Mounting/Steering Knuckle - Thread Repair
NUMBER: 05-03-99
GROUP: Brakes
EFFECTIVE DATE: Apr. 23, 1999
SUBJECT:
Front Brake Caliper Mounting To Steering Knuckle Thread Repair
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves repair of the threads on the steering knuckle or brake caliper mounting adapter that are used to install and retain the front brake caliper housing in its correct operating location.
MODELS:
1986 - 1999 (AN) Dakota
1998 - 1999 (DN) Durango
DISCUSSION:
A Brake Knuckle Thread Repair Kit has been developed to repair stripped threads on the front brake caliper mounting attachment making it no longer necessary to replace the front steering knuckle/brake caliper mounting adapter when encountering stripped threads. The following information provides the repair procedure for using the Brake Knuckle Thread Repair Kit.
DIAGNOSIS:
1. Place the vehicle on an appropriate hoist.
2. Remove the front tire/wheel assembly.
3. Remove the brake caliper housing assembly by loosening the mounting bolts.
NOTE: IF HIGH TORQUE IS ENCOUNTERED DURING THE MOUNTING BOLT REMOVAL, IT IS LIKELY THAT THREAD DAMAGE WILL OCCUR OR HAS OCCURRED.
4. Remove the caliper housing assembly and hang the housing on the frame of the vehicle using an appropriate wire hanger.
NOTE: DO NOT ALLOW THE CALIPER HOUSING TO HANG BY ITSELF FROM THE BRAKE HOSE AS DAMAGE TO THE HOSE MAY RESULT.
5. If the vehicle has a bolt-on brake caliper mounting adapter, remove the adapter. If the brake caliper mounts directly to the steering knuckle, remove retainers on the wheel studs and remove the rotor.
6. Inspect the mounting bolts and knuckle threads for damage. If either is damaged, it's likely that damage to the other has occurred as well. If damage has occurred to the threads in the form of knicks, thread pulling, or cross-threading, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
AR (1) 05016156AA Insert, Heli-Coil, M9 X 1.25
AR (1) 04886075AA Bolts, Caliper Housing Mounting
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
AR (1) 05016155AA Kit, Brake Knuckle Thread Repair
Includes:
23/64 Drill Bit
M9 X 1.25 Tap
Heli-Coil Installation Tool
Heli-Coil Tang Break-Off Rod
(25) M9 X 1.25 Stainless Steel Heli-Coils
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Using the 23/64 in. drill, drill through the brake caliper mounting attachment hole keeping the drill perpendicular to the knuckle.
2. Using the M9 X 1.25 tap, tap the drilled hole ensuring to tap the hole entirely through.
3. Install a Heli-Coil insert onto the installation tool (tool number 3747-9). Be sure the tang is properly engaged into the driving contour of the tool.
4. Install the Heli-Coil into the drilled/tapped hole by rotating the tool and exerting slight pressure onto the tool/Heli-Coil and into the drilled/tapped hole. Continue to rotate the tool until the insert is located 1/4 to 1/2 turn below the steering knuckle surface.
5. Back the Heli-Coil installation tool out of the installed Heli-Coil. Then, remove the tang from the Heli-Coil by breaking the tang off using the tang break-off tool. Place the break-off tool into the assembled insert until it rests on the Heli-Coil tang. Holding the tool squarely, strike the tool sharply with a hammer.
6. If the vehicle has a bolt-on brake caliper mounting adapter, install the adapter. Refer to the appropriate Service Manual for information regarding proper brake caliper adapter mounting information. If the brake caliper mounts directly to the steering knuckle, install the rotor.
7. Install the caliper using new mounting bolts p/n 04886075AA in any location that had a Heli-Coil installed. Tighten the bolts to 30 - 35 N.m (22-26 ft. lbs.).
8. Install the tire/wheel assembly.
9. Lower the vehicle.
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No:
05-80-20-93 Brake Caliper Mounting Support Thread Repair,
Left Side 0.4 Hrs.
05-80-20-94 Brake Caliper Mounting Support Thread Repair,
Right Side 0.4 Hrs.
05-80-20-50 Brake Caliper Mounting Support Thread
Repair, Each Additional Same Side 0.1 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE: XX - Service Adjustment

Old 07-28-2012, 03:24 AM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

napa sells the kit dont know the pn off hand but they have them

Old 07-28-2012, 09:03 AM
redfernclan
Rookie

Yep, just went through this a couple of months ago. So far it has held up fine, but it is also not a daily driver, just towing my boat and trailer. I got mine from Napa, was about $50 but alot cheaper than a new knuckle.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:37 AM
cshaf

thanks for reply and info, just what i needed, im replacing ball joints hub bearings ugh,this is all new to me, was finishing,drivers side when stripped out threads ,was being so carefull with caliper pins, boots make it so hard to see what im doing. love your Ds blue color is that factory color?. mine is grey paint is in greally good shape,starting to get rust strains from all window channels,badges,ect. cant beleive it,this is florida truck. thanks again guys for help.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:48 AM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by cshaf
thanks for reply and info, just what i needed, im replacing ball joints hub bearings ugh,this is all new to me, was finishing,drivers side when stripped out threads ,was being so carefull with caliper pins, boots make it so hard to see what im doing. love your Ds blue color is that factory color?. mine is grey paint is in greally good shape,starting to get rust strains from all window channels,badges,ect. cant beleive it,this is florida truck. thanks again guys for help.

I had to use the oversize bolts myself too. Yes mine is a factory color. It's Intense Blue Pearlcoat and it was available in 98 and 99 on Durangos. There weren't a whole lot of them made with this color. Good luck with everything.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:33 AM
babyelephant
Amateur

Originally Posted by that_guy
Here's the TSB for the heli-coils; it should have everything you'll need listed.
Great info, thanks a lot, mr. That_guy! I'm replacing my rotors and pads and have the same problem. Thumbs up!

Old 08-12-2012, 11:13 AM
that_guy
Champion

glad I could help.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:07 AM
greasydriveway
Rookie

I had to do the exact same thing. The right size drill bit was 25/64, unless there's a slight difference between the 98 and 2002. The helicoil package I bought said 25/64 drill bit, that's what I used and everything worked out. Double check the bolt diameter. Mine was 3/8.
It was all really simple to do. I just went slow when I was drilling out the stripped threads to make sure everything stayed straight.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:15 AM
babyelephant
Amateur

Thanks again for this helpful info. I replaced my rotors and pads this weekend with EBC stuff. Had to helicoil the left side, but right side was ok (though one oversized bolt was already used at the right side).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: heli coil help