1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Antifreeze/Coolant not circulating

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:58 AM
RyanWilson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze/Coolant not circulating

2003 Durango v8 4.7 110,000 2wd.

Antifreeze/Coolant not moving when I take cap off ive done this with engine warm and cold?
Not leaking around the water pump.
I have heat in the Durango.
I was planning on filling the radiator for I know that I have a small leak in the radatior, since the antifreeze/coolant wont move it wont take any new Antifreeze/coolant.
going to try and use bars leak before going out and by an new radiator.
Would my problem be just a simple thermostat?

Old 03-29-2014, 09:40 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if the engine is cold you wont see it moving past the cap, not until the water temp comes up enough to open the thermostat

Old 03-29-2014, 09:57 AM
RyanWilson

So maybe I didn't have the car hot enough. Ill try and let it run longer.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:39 AM
Thax
Amateur

It might be time for a major cooling system overhaul . The 4.7L water pumps can sometimes have the impeller come lose which will cause poor to zero coolant circulation. Dont use system leak , it is only a band aid for a a failing part and can gum up the works in any cooling system. Replace the radiator along with the thermostat and water pump and be good for another 100k. Aftermarket Radiators vary quite a bit in terms of quality as do Thermostats. Spectra Radiators are a great value as well Motorad thermostats. Motorad now supplies the 4.7/3.7L thermostats to Mopar OEM so they are good quality, avoid Fail-safe as they are not reliable.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:26 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Unless its leaking or looking bad I dont think replacing the radiator is necessary. And opening the cap with the engine hot isn't a good idea either. Are you actually having cooling issues?

Old 03-30-2014, 07:22 PM
RyanWilson

Not having a problem with cooling issues that I know of yet I have only a 3min ride to work. So im thinking that would not be enough time to have a cooling issue. I do have heat. And the radiator does have a small leak towards the bottom someplace not able to locate it.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:47 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd certainly go ahead and replace the radiator then if it's leaking, if I were you.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:05 PM
RyanWilson

So today after work I let the Durango heat up to where the needle is in the middle of temp gauge which im assuming is 190 195 degrees and I still did not see any movement in the coolant level with the cap off.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:08 PM
dxloat
Veteran

I think you are over thinking this. The pump circulates the coolant inside the motor, you won't necessarily see the fluid moving under the cap. If your d is leaking fix or replace the item leaking, but if it isn't overheating don't be so fixated on seeing the fluid flow past the cap. Watch the fluid level in the overflow tank, the engine will draw from the overflow when it needs to. If the thermostat is stuck open the engine will not reach operating temp. If the thermostat is stuck closed it will overheat. Fluid only flows to and from the radiator after the motor reaches temp and the thermostat opens to let in cool fluid to cool the motor, otherwise the coolant only flows inside the motor as a closed loop.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze/Coolant not circulating