Truck won't stay in overdrive, over-sensitive transmission? - DodgeForum.com


1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Truck won't stay in overdrive, over-sensitive transmission?

Reply
 
 
  #1  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Endgame26's Avatar
Endgame26
Endgame26 is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17
Default Truck won't stay in overdrive, over-sensitive transmission?

I've had this problem for about two weeks now, but it seems to be getting progressively worse. At a highway speed of 55-70, obviously I would like to be in overdrive instead of accelerating in a lower gear, the problem is that my truck will shift back out of overdrive every time my foot moves on or off of the pedal even the smallest amount due to the fact that the LIE is not a smooth expressway. Sometimes it will continuously shift into and out of overdrive back forth within seconds of each other. Is this a transmission problem or a small fix? Thanks!

Last edited by Endgame26; 08-13-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 PM
shrpshtr325's Avatar
shrpshtr325
shrpshtr325 is offline
THE ULTI-MOD
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toms River NJ
Posts: 19,240
Default

which transmission are we working on here?? if you dont know thats fine tell us which engine you have and the year and we will help you figure it out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Endgame26's Avatar
Endgame26
Endgame26 is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17
Default

2000 4.7
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-13-2012, 09:42 PM
shrpshtr325's Avatar
shrpshtr325
shrpshtr325 is offline
THE ULTI-MOD
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toms River NJ
Posts: 19,240
Default

you have the 45rfe in your truck it is an electronically controlled transmission, the first thing i would try is to see if it is a computer bug, reset the TCM (same procedure as resetting the PCM, this will reset the controller to factory default settings) If this takes care of it then something is off with your driving style to teach the computer wrong, if that doesnt fix it then i the next step would be the OD control system sensors or solenoid

to reset the controll modules, remove negative terminal of battery, hold key to start for 30 seconds and release, turn key off and remove from ignition, reattach negative battery terminal and start the truck.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2012, 01:23 AM
master tech's Avatar
master tech
master tech is offline
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Bruno ,Ca
Posts: 10,854
Default

Have you checked the fluid level? Is the check engine light on? If these are good, maybe you are feeling the torque converter locking and unlocking lock up. Or maybe you have a bad TPS sensor.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-14-2012, 02:18 AM
Endgame26's Avatar
Endgame26
Endgame26 is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17
Default

I will try your advice tomorrow and definitely let you know how it goes. What I do know now is that I have not checked the fluid recently but I don't have any lights on the dash
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Sooper's Avatar
Sooper
Sooper is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr325 View Post
the OD control system sensors or solenoid

Where are these? Are they the solenoid and pressure sender in the transmission under the pan?

I haven't heard of an OD control sensor yet.

My Durango has a similar issue, but only if I really goose it to pass someone. Almost like it's shifting two gears instead of one. I can get it to do either but it's almost all affected by where I bury the pedal...

...which leads me to believe it's a TPS issue.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-14-2012, 01:49 PM
that_guy's Avatar
that_guy
that_guy is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA or Columbia, SC
Posts: 3,586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooper View Post
Where are these? Are they the solenoid and pressure sender in the transmission under the pan?

I haven't heard of an OD control sensor yet.

My Durango has a similar issue, but only if I really goose it to pass someone. Almost like it's shifting two gears instead of one. I can get it to do either but it's almost all affected by where I bury the pedal...

...which leads me to believe it's a TPS issue.
they're talking about a completely different transmission. The 5.2 and 5.9 have the 44re and 46re respectively (the 46 is basically a heavy duty 44) and have nothing in common really with the 45rfe (with the 4.7) that they're talking about.

have you tried adjusting your tv cable?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-14-2012, 02:18 PM
mastermates
mastermates is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endgame26 View Post
I've had this problem for about two weeks now, but it seems to be getting progressively worse. At a highway speed of 55-70, obviously I would like to be in overdrive instead of accelerating in a lower gear, the problem is that my truck will shift back out of overdrive every time my foot moves on or off of the pedal even the smallest amount due to the fact that the LIE is not a smooth expressway. Sometimes it will continuously shift into and out of overdrive back forth within seconds of each other. Is this a transmission problem or a small fix? Thanks!
Hi , I have the same problem but it is a 05 Dodge P/U 4x4 diesel. When a shop worked on it they showed me a shaft that had very small oil flow holes and said the oil flow was not enough to the overdrive unit! They put in a shaft with bigger holed. Ciao capy-mastermates
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Compactc9
Compactc9 is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by master tech View Post
Have you checked the fluid level? Is the check engine light on? If these are good, maybe you are feeling the torque converter locking and unlocking lock up. Or maybe you have a bad TPS sensor.
I agree here, when the TC locks and unlocks it gives a similar feel as shifting gears. If you give it a little more gas fairly fast (but not enough to cause it to downshift) you'l feel it unlock, and when you're cruising at a speed, then let off the gas, it will unlock to allow the truck to coast without the engine dragging you down.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
john_2216
3rd Gen Ram Tech
6
11-09-2015 10:42 PM
TheFist
4th Gen Ram Tech
10
07-17-2015 08:22 AM
93 ragtop
1st Gen Ram Tech
3
07-14-2015 04:21 PM
MichiganMark
2nd Gen Ram Tech
9
07-07-2015 12:33 AM
tshelle82
2nd Gen Dakota
1
07-06-2015 05:33 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send