1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Truck won't stay in overdrive, over-sensitive transmission?

Old 08-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Endgame26
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't stay in overdrive, over-sensitive transmission?

I've had this problem for about two weeks now, but it seems to be getting progressively worse. At a highway speed of 55-70, obviously I would like to be in overdrive instead of accelerating in a lower gear, the problem is that my truck will shift back out of overdrive every time my foot moves on or off of the pedal even the smallest amount due to the fact that the LIE is not a smooth expressway. Sometimes it will continuously shift into and out of overdrive back forth within seconds of each other. Is this a transmission problem or a small fix? Thanks!

Last edited by Endgame26; 08-13-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:20 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

which transmission are we working on here?? if you dont know thats fine tell us which engine you have and the year and we will help you figure it out.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Endgame26

2000 4.7

Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

you have the 45rfe in your truck it is an electronically controlled transmission, the first thing i would try is to see if it is a computer bug, reset the TCM (same procedure as resetting the PCM, this will reset the controller to factory default settings) If this takes care of it then something is off with your driving style to teach the computer wrong, if that doesnt fix it then i the next step would be the OD control system sensors or solenoid

to reset the controll modules, remove negative terminal of battery, hold key to start for 30 seconds and release, turn key off and remove from ignition, reattach negative battery terminal and start the truck.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:23 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Have you checked the fluid level? Is the check engine light on? If these are good, maybe you are feeling the torque converter locking and unlocking lock up. Or maybe you have a bad TPS sensor.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Endgame26

I will try your advice tomorrow and definitely let you know how it goes. What I do know now is that I have not checked the fluid recently but I don't have any lights on the dash

Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
the OD control system sensors or solenoid

Where are these? Are they the solenoid and pressure sender in the transmission under the pan?

I haven't heard of an OD control sensor yet.

My Durango has a similar issue, but only if I really goose it to pass someone. Almost like it's shifting two gears instead of one. I can get it to do either but it's almost all affected by where I bury the pedal...

...which leads me to believe it's a TPS issue.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:49 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sooper
Where are these? Are they the solenoid and pressure sender in the transmission under the pan?

I haven't heard of an OD control sensor yet.

My Durango has a similar issue, but only if I really goose it to pass someone. Almost like it's shifting two gears instead of one. I can get it to do either but it's almost all affected by where I bury the pedal...

...which leads me to believe it's a TPS issue.
they're talking about a completely different transmission. The 5.2 and 5.9 have the 44re and 46re respectively (the 46 is basically a heavy duty 44) and have nothing in common really with the 45rfe (with the 4.7) that they're talking about.

have you tried adjusting your tv cable?

Old 08-14-2012, 01:18 PM
mastermates

Originally Posted by Endgame26
I've had this problem for about two weeks now, but it seems to be getting progressively worse. At a highway speed of 55-70, obviously I would like to be in overdrive instead of accelerating in a lower gear, the problem is that my truck will shift back out of overdrive every time my foot moves on or off of the pedal even the smallest amount due to the fact that the LIE is not a smooth expressway. Sometimes it will continuously shift into and out of overdrive back forth within seconds of each other. Is this a transmission problem or a small fix? Thanks!
Hi , I have the same problem but it is a 05 Dodge P/U 4x4 diesel. When a shop worked on it they showed me a shaft that had very small oil flow holes and said the oil flow was not enough to the overdrive unit! They put in a shaft with bigger holed. Ciao capy-mastermates

Old 08-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Compactc9
Veteran

Originally Posted by master tech
Have you checked the fluid level? Is the check engine light on? If these are good, maybe you are feeling the torque converter locking and unlocking lock up. Or maybe you have a bad TPS sensor.
I agree here, when the TC locks and unlocks it gives a similar feel as shifting gears. If you give it a little more gas fairly fast (but not enough to cause it to downshift) you'l feel it unlock, and when you're cruising at a speed, then let off the gas, it will unlock to allow the truck to coast without the engine dragging you down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck won't stay in overdrive, over-sensitive transmission?