1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Gear selector won't show in park/slow 1st to 2nd shift

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:12 PM
junkie97neon
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, I had already downloaded the manual but hadn't seen the parts list download. Thanks again!

Old 10-14-2012, 07:59 PM
junkie97neon
Rookie

So I finally got the valve body dropped down, and I found a bracket the is holding a spring that is broken. Looking at the service manual it appears to be the boost valve and spring retainer. I looked at the parts manual and I didn't see anywhere the valve body was broken down that far. Is this not a part I can get separately? Will I have to buy a whole valve body rebuild kit?

Also, there was no inner spring with the accumulator spring and piston, just the outer spring and piston itself. I remember I read a thread where someone was told by a tranny mechanic that it wasn't necessary and some 46re's didn't have them and some did, and someone else confirmed that it wasn't necessary. But I don't want to seal this sucker back up and have to pull it back down because it needs it. Even though common sense says it ran fine without it there for however long it's not been there, I'm assuming it came from the factory like that.

Thanks again for all of your help.

The bracket I'm talking about is that thin metal bracket holding the spring it by the arrow that says TCC Boost plate and clip.

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u...anspics007.jpg

Old 10-14-2012, 11:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Let me know what parts you are looking for. This i can look up the parts for you. And the inner spring is true. Some of the 46RE's came with an inner spring and some didn't.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:07 AM
junkie97neon
Rookie

I need that boost spring retainer bracket. Thanks a lot!

http://transmissiontechnologies.com/...ers-bag-5.aspx

This is the only place so far I have found that has that retainer. I assume it is part of a rebuild kit, but I don't want a full rebuild. My goal is to get it going for now, and hopefully get rid of it. I called the local dealership again and they couldn't find the part in their system either, they kept wanting to sell me the boost tube retainer. I kept telling them no, then they tried for the governor solenoid retainer. So I guess I'm stuck ordering it form that site, just makes me mad they want $11 for shipping, or $51 for overnight! Crazy

Thanks again for everything!!!

Last edited by junkie97neon; 10-15-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: new info
Old 10-15-2012, 11:40 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The dealer couldn't find it, Because it part of the valve body assy. The only way you can replace the bracket is with a reman valve body. That other part you found is a snap ring and it may or may not came from the direct clutch pack. Thats in the overdrive unit.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 AM
junkie97neon
Rookie

To replace the other part wouldrequire full teardown and rebuild correct? And pulling the tranny? Thanks!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 AM
junkie97neon
Rookie

Well I got the new anchor and boost spring retainer in and the tranny buttoned back up. It shifts super smooth, but I have part of the original problem again! When I shift the selector into park it registers as Reverse on the dash. The gear selector doesnt' seem to fall back into reverse, it stays toward me easy to shift out, unlike all the other gears where the selector falls back towards the dash to click in. Also, sometimes it doesn't lock into park when placed into park and will still back up with something clicking under me, sounds like metal on metal. I'm thinking something to do with the park lock rod maybe?

Now, I also just noticed that when I turn the 4wd switch to 4wd lo the 4wd light stays on and the 4wd low light blinks, like there is some problem there. Here I was so close to being happy and thrilled with my work, it turns to crap.

Thanks in advance for any help.

My first thought is that I need to adjust the gearshift cable, which I am about to try.

Last edited by junkie97neon; 10-25-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 10-25-2012, 10:34 AM
junkie97neon
Rookie

So I just adjusted the gearshift cable per the factory manual and it now starts and locks into park and the gearshifter feels much more solid in Reverse. The truck will now also start in Park. The only issue is that the P is not circled on the dash indicator like it should be, all the others show up fine, and like I said it feels solidly in park.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:34 PM
junkie97neon
Rookie

Just wanted to note that I ended up adding a total of 9 qts of fluid.

Also wanted to share that I used my small floor jack with a lint free cloth soaked in some fluid on top of it to help raise and hold the valve body while it attached the park rod. It sure helped me a ton!!! Don't know if I could have done it without something propping it up.

Best of luck everyone!!!

Old 10-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see your getting everything worked out... thanks for sharing with us

Quick Reply: Gear selector won't show in park/slow 1st to 2nd shift