1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

What is it about Gen 1 Durangos that makes you an enthusiast?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM
heekma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is it about Gen 1 Durangos that makes you an enthusiast?

Hello,

Here's why I like them:

Styling:

I think Dodge got the styling right early on. It's muscular, aggressive and timeless. Later versions did what most progressive designs do: take the good parts and emphasize them even more. To me they end up looking bloated and garish.

Simplicity:

Early versions were a bit less refined and more truck-like. I LIKE having a 4WD shifting lever on the floor-it just seems normal to me, flipping a **** just isn't the same. The overall intent was on utility-less on sport. Modern versions are oriented for the street more than dirt and mud and seem more like a minivan than an SUV.

Magnum Engines:

A little low on horsepower, but good torque-a truck motor. Reliable, long-lived, easy to work on, relatively cheap parts.

Cost:

For 4-5k you can buy a good used Gen 1, invest a couple thousand and have a damned good SUV. Sure as hell beats a payment, interest and depreciation.

So, what makes you folks enthusiastic about Gen1 Durangos?

Best,

Heekma

Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM
GFNR
Amateur

My Durango is 02 so it lacks the **** for the 4WD, but the ferocity of the truck that has been hidden in the impressive styling of my car is just part of the reason why I enjoy my vehicle so much.

However I am not a millionaire and truly lack a lot of the money that I want to put into my car, the stock plastic that is riddled on the inside makes me feel like I'm driving around in a plastic box. Even though I have leather I do wish that it did have more of a sturdy feel inside. But that's all up to me and what I can concoct once I get some resources.

There is a little damage on the outside of my car and some rust but I still cant get rid of that muscular look that you had mentioned before. The car truly does have unique styling. The newest Durango is the closest I would get to upgrading seeing as they got about 65% of the body styling to my liking.

But to keep it relatively simple, I like the styling and the fact that they fit a powerful truck into an SUV.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 PM
tooltime
Veteran

I (wife) have a 20014wd with a 4.7. I think it looks great,the style looks tough and the wheels make it look even better. I think the headlights could be better looking though. I like the looks of the dash better than the 1st ones. The 2nd gen never carried for and the new 1's look nice but not a 4wd look. Wish the mpg was better

Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The size and capability. Lots of power, towing, and off road ability. Oh and it has been one tough son of a......

Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 PM
MikeK77
Amateur

I have an 01, and to me, this style is the best of the 3 so far. IMO, it pays homage to the old power wagon, which I loved. Has the muscular beast shape to it. Not too big, but has the power.

gen 2, just got too big looking.

Im not even going to go into gen 3

Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart
The size and capability. Lots of power, towing, and off road ability. Oh and it has been one tough son of a......
Amen Brother!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart

Old 12-02-2012, 09:53 PM
MikeK77
Amateur

I just got mine a month ago. Used to have a exploder, which i got to the point where i didnt care, and did a lot of mudding with it. It went thru areas I didn't think it ever would.

Im being cautious with this. I dont want to destroy her being only has 91k on it. How are they in the dirt?

Old 12-02-2012, 11:28 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

my "d" also shows its age with a little bit of rust. but it doesnt take away from its off road capability, my "d" was made for off road and to be easily worked on by the back yard mechanic. unlike its younger 2 siblings the 2nd gen and 3rd gen which were made for overly cautious soccer moms who cant drive in incliment weather!
the 1st gen is easily modified! and the magnum engines were the best thing to happen to dodge! sorry all you ppl who got the 4.7's, nothing against you.
the magnum engines can be easily modified for high hp and torque.
and being able to give it a 2"-3" lift by simply adding new longer shackles.
however the interior is simple. plastic and simple. lol.
but great for what its made for.
i have cloth interior, by choice, i live up north, where it gets very cold in the winter, and cloth doest freeze your butt when you sit on it unlike leather.
my "d" has quite ofter given me many issues, but thats due to the improper mantinence, or lack there of that was done by the previous owner.
i have some major planns for this "d" in the spring,
im talking a complete rebuild!
body off frame rebuild! and im doing it all by myself at home!
and all of that is what makes me a 1st gen durango enthusiast!!!!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 PM
MILLS5DODGING
Default Mad enthusiast

Gotta love the first gen rango, simple to work on, tuff truck look, i also own a 99 dakota and the parts are almost all interchangeable, the rangos have great room for a family with two kids and one in the oven, the engines they had can produce awesome power stock and amazing power with some mods. The sound you can get out of the exhaust is amazing, and last but not least if they had made a standard option with the 5.9L like i have built everyone would want one, even with 35s it makes heads turn round and round.

Quick Reply: What is it about Gen 1 Durangos that makes you an enthusiast?