1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fog lights not working

Old 12-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Mechaniczman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lights not working

The fog lights on my 99 dodge durango slt 4x4 5.2 dont work, I dont even know how to turn them on. Do they come on with the headlights? If so then possibly the headlight switch is bad, is has the type of switch you turn, not pull out. I dont know how to test the switch though.
The fog light fuse is good, the relay is good, and both bulbs are good. Im assuming theres no power to the connector since the bulbs are good.

Any helps appreciated.
Also do I need to put limited slip additives to the gear oil when I service the differentials? I dont know if its limited slip or not. If so do i put it in the front differential too?

Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

front differential is ALWAYS open on these trucks no additive in the front, you need to check the rear and see if you need it.

in order to turn on the fog lights you pull out the switch ****, its the same **** you use to put on parking lights and headlights, just grab it and give it a tug should come out and on go the fog lights

Old 12-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Mechaniczman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! I have fog lights! I didnt even know that switch could pull out, ive had this thing for 13 years i bet thats the first time the fog lights ever came on, but it just crossed my mind the other day that they didnt work/or know how to turn them on.
Thanks!

Now ive got to replace the valve cover gaskets tomorrow morning.
Ive been smelling an antifreeze smell, but it does have a leaky freeze plug and a leak by the thermostat (intake manifold..bad mechanic, long story) ive had 3 or 4 people say they smell antifreeze in it, but it might just be the carpet. Also when the heat is on high sometimes it will be hot sometimes its luke warm... deffinently something going on with the antifreeze/cooling system. Im going to flush it and refill with 50/50 and go from there.
any ideas?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechaniczman
Sweet! I have fog lights! I didnt even know that switch could pull out, ive had this thing for 13 years i bet thats the first time the fog lights ever came on, but it just crossed my mind the other day that they didnt work/or know how to turn them on.
Thanks!

Now ive got to replace the valve cover gaskets tomorrow morning.
Ive been smelling an antifreeze smell, but it does have a leaky freeze plug and a leak by the thermostat (intake manifold..bad mechanic, long story) ive had 3 or 4 people say they smell antifreeze in it, but it might just be the carpet. Also when the heat is on high sometimes it will be hot sometimes its luke warm... deffinently something going on with the antifreeze/cooling system. Im going to flush it and refill with 50/50 and go from there.
any ideas?

If you have a antifreeze smell on your carpet i would be willing to bet your heater core is going out.. usually a leak from a freeze plug or a thermostat does not get into the cab. There could be a number of reasons that the core is only hot sometimes here.. all i can say is try flushing it but, be warned if the core is getting ready to fail, flushing it could be the final nail in the coffin.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fog lights not working