1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

abs and brake light on dash confusion

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 AM
wildthing423
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs and brake light on dash confusion

I have seen this issue over and over again. Some of the answers are really confusing. Ok I have a 99 durango 5.2 4wd. It failed inspection because of this. Pep boys said my car was in great mechanical shape but had to faile because of the dash lights. Advanced auto uses the actron reader that supposedly diagnosis's abs/airbag/srs data and can clear the codes. replaced rw diff speed sensor. lights still on. no codes though, of anykind..at least on the actron. Hall dodge stealership in virginia beach wants 200 dollars to just clear any code or to find no code also..TOO much BS there. I need this car to pass inspection. though this is a 4wd there are no sensors on the front wheels the back when checked with dmm are with ohm specs. I am getting chemo and too sick to work right now so I need to find the cheapest ways to get this resolved because of not working financially reduce income. Is it possible to be the vss output sensor on the tranny drivers side...I have no speedo issues..that part is only 17 .50 at advanced auto. But again no noticeable trans issues. also, I was offered an abs control module from an identical vehicle even the part number is the same.. I have found post where people have swapped them out with no problems and those that have swapped them and and got a code about the vin # but otherwise functional..I would greatly appreciate any help.

Mark

I have actually solved this dilemma. Many , Many people have posted on the abs/brake light issue including myself. I have had every durango from 98 - 2003 and had this issue in some form or fashion in everyone of them. many of the people , not too many, but some have replaced there abs control module withought really knowing what is wrong with it. It really doesnt matter, if it needs rebuilding ot replacement then so be it. But, for financial reasons I did not want to even think of this at the time. So, I have 11 daughters, and one of my youngest twins, has a new boy friend who is a tech for sears and came over with the newest too expensive snap on touch screen diagnostic computer. I had replaced the rabs diff sensor and vss on driver side of tranny and was still getting intermitten rear abs sensor code.checked all connections and they were with in electrical specs nothing shorted open. so this young man sits with my car and runs it through an hours worth of tests connects to my wifi and sends messages back and forth to who knows who updates the computer clears all codes and turns my truck back on with and it blinks a code with a subset code, intermittern abs differential relay.well the abs relays on all durangos from 98 to 2000 are built into the abs control module themselves. they are not in the fuse box/power station under the hood. and accordingly this is the most common reason for the replacement of the abs control module.[chat with crysler / dodge / Plymouth.

Last edited by wildthing423; 08-06-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:48 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Mark
If the codes were actived and the sensors were replaced. The codes should have gone to stored and the lamps should have gone off too. Unless you still have actived codes.
I would remove the battery cables and wait a while and put the cables back on.

Quick Reply: abs and brake light on dash confusion