1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 durango transmission pan!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:50 AM
arcticpower28
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2003 durango transmission pan!

Noticed yesterday when the gf left for work in the garage was a small wet spot on the floor. Couldnt tell what it was by the time it was soaked into the concrete floor. This morning I looked under it and the spot is back on the floor again, looked under and found that the transmission pan is rusted to hell. Wiped the pan clean to find the hole and it is a very small pin hole. I am looking for a new pan now. I am having trouble finding one for a 2003 4.7 V8. I like the ones that have the drain plug but they are only for the 5.9 RT. Anyone know where I can get a good pan at, and would like to have a drain plug if possible??

Thanks

Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 PM
arcticpower28
Amateur

Iam going to have to get this pan dropped here the beginning of next week so what will I need to do a trans change? I never was in this before, is the an internal filter in there somewhere? And also I hear to only use ATF +4 synthitic fluid, is there a prefrence to what brand or is it just called ATF+4, and where do you get the fluid and the filter? Thanks

Old 05-04-2013, 08:42 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

fluid is ATF+4 only, you can get mopar fluid (my preferenace since it gets changed so infrequetly is to just bite the bullet and buy it from the dealer) need a filter kit (2 filters in that trans) and some rtv or a gasket (my preferance is a gasket but to each their own)

Old 05-06-2013, 07:53 AM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

Dealer will sell only RTV sealant. They don't use gaskets anymore.

SJ02

Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 AM
arcticpower28
Amateur

can I use a napa brand ATF+4 synethetic? valoviline makes napa oils, just asking because there is a napa close by and they have it in stock, and the nearest dodge dealer is over an hour away!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:59 AM
arcticpower28
Amateur

how many of you use the rtv sealant for your gasket? I never used this stuff before and am courious wheater to use the rubber or rtv! I was told to not use the rubber gasket that came with the filter kit, they said I will have problems with leaks. Then I was told no matter which one you decide to use they will both work if done right! I saw a video of a guy putting rtv on his pan then he stuck the rubber gasket to the rtv. Which way would you do this. Any info on the rtv would be helpful!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:21 PM
arcticpower28
Amateur

well today I got the pan off and the fluid out. changed both filters, decided to leave the trans drip overnight and then attempt to put the pan on, I dont know what senerio I am going to use as far as the gasket and rtvm or just plain rtv. Need some help deciding. Why doesnt the dealer want you to use the gasket, this is a new pan and the surface of the trans where the pan goes is clean, I cleaned it today!

Quick Reply: 2003 durango transmission pan!