1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

A/C efan , Aux Fan Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 PM
majerus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the link for the individual that added a second fan to his truck? Also the fan I am installing is an 18" out of a mercury version of a town car, it really moves some air. Ill post pics when I get it setup.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensai
that fan and shroud setup looks kinda small? Still about 20 percent of the radiator surface has no air moving thru it when idle can cause hot spots.

That is what is doing on my truck with my mechanical fan taken off. The OEM Efan can really keep the system cool. But have trouble maintaining 180 with A/C on and set to pull outside air when temp is 90 degrees. Temp is holding near 200 degrees.

I wonder when hot 100+ temps arrive to DFW to see if the Efan can still hold up as it is not covering the entire surface of the radiator (about 20percent of radiator does not have air moving thru it when idle.

May have to re-install my mechanical fan during the summer or add a 2nd efan similar to the user that did that with his RAM truck in this forum.

There's only about an 1-2 inch gap on top where the fan doesn't cover. The inch or so on the side shouldn't really matter since the radiator is horizontal flow. Eventually I will make a shroud out of sheet metal for the fan, but right now I have absolutely no problems with it. The fan has absolutely no problem at all keeping the temperature down to the 180 degree thermostat temp even idling in traffic when it's 110+ with the a/c on. The fan usually isn't even running the whole time sitting in traffic, it'll run for a minute and then cycle off because it cooled it down to 180.

I have my low speed trigger set to come on at 185 and off at 182 and the high speed set to come on at 189 and back to low at 185. As far as I know the high speed hasn't ever had to come on to maintain the temperature. The only time the high speed is on is when the a/c comes on (a/c automatically triggers the high speed).

Old 04-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still not having that 1-2 inch of of surface area with no air flow could cause hotspots.

I just know my 5.9 is a hot beast of a engine and always had trouble keeping it at 180 during the summer. Now with a recent water pump replacement, the Efan keeps the temp below 180 without A/C. Hughes team set my SCT tuner to enable the fan at 150 degrees so Efan stays running all the time. May need to pay the bucks and have them reprogram it to come on at 185 and off at 180 so the fan can short cycle as needed vs running the fan on continously after engine warms up. Had trouble keeping truck warm in the winter season with the fan coming on too early.

I need to find the OEM eFAN that came off certain year model jeeps that are Mopar Efans that pulls some crazy air similar to the Mark Fans that came out of the lincolns. Some users posted the part number from the jeep forums. The fan is louder than the usual Efan due to the amount of air it pulls.

I know my OEM Efan pulls pretty strong already. I can hold up a piece of paper 5 to 6 inches away from the radiator and can see the paper being pulled due to the amount of air being pulled.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:33 PM
majerus
Rookie

@kensai, not sure if you noticed but the fan that That_guy is running is not the stock efan it is out of a Taurus. Also he is running a 5.2 opposed to your 5.9 , just a few differences I am not sure if they were noticed, however they should be pointed out. Did you happen to have the link for the individual on the 2nd gen ram site that had two efans installed?

Last edited by majerus; 04-30-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by majerus
@kensai, not sure if you noticed but the fan that That_guy is running is not the stock efan it is out of a Taurus. Also he is running a 5.2 opposed to your 5.9 , just a few differences I am not sure if they were noticed, however they should be pointed out. Did you happen to have the link for the individual on the 2nd gen ram site that had two efans installed?
That is very true.

As far as adding 2nd fan. After some long searching, I remember the user had lv in his name and found it was lvram360 that did the 2nd fan install. Here is the link with pics of his installation. Very good original idea on how to install it and did a good job as well.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ctric-fan.html

Old 04-30-2013, 02:50 PM
that_guy
Champion

There are a couple people that I know of running the taurus fan with the 5.9 with no problems, IndyDurango is the first that springs to mind. I know ultimately I'll build a shroud, but like I said I have no problems with cooling even when its 110+ degrees.

I know the fans in the wj Grand Cherokees were hydraulically via the power steering pump, but the newer ones are probably electric.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:09 PM
majerus
Rookie

I started on my electric conversion today, here are the pics. I really hate linking to external sites but seems like this forum likes to use photobucket so I created an account.

Here is a tool i made to lock the water pump with some stock and bolts I had laying around. The measurement between the two bolts is 2 1/2"
Name:  IMG_20130430_193157_zps9c73b7f1.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  78.7 KB

Here is the fan in the shroud I need to figure out how to mount it yet.

Name:  IMG_20130430_193218_zps1e8a69a4.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  155.8 KB

The bolt that is on the fan clutch do i need to re install it? I am kinda afraid the water pump pulley might fly off if i dont. Here is that picture.

Name:  IMG_20130430_193210_zps88fab1a3.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  129.4 KB

And a pic of the void the mechanical fan left.

Name:  IMG_20130430_193204_zpsc60f8b46.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  77.5 KB

Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 PM
that_guy
Champion

The nut is just to hold the fan clutch onto the pump. I don't think it even comes off. Make sure you store the fan clutch upright (as it would be if it were still on the engine) otherwise it will go bad from laying flat.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 PM
majerus
Rookie

Ill go set the fan upright, thanks for the tip.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:11 PM
that_guy
Champion

No problem. It has to do with the fluid in the viscous coupling. I forget if it just leaks into the wrong place inside the clutch or leaks out of the clutch all together.

Quick Reply: A/C efan , Aux Fan Pics