1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

My Durango's down for the time being

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 11:07 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Forgot to mention that on top of worrying about what's going on with my car, that now I have a sore back. I went to the doctor and he checked and x-rayed me. He said that my back isn't messes up as far as bones go, but that I do have stretching and or tearing of muscles and or ligaments. They put me on some muscle relaxers and pain relievers, but so far they haven't done much. I'm still finding myself worried more about my car than my health though.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:20 AM
jjphurst
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about that, it was looking real good. Hope your back gets better. It can be a long road you are fixing to travel thanks to her.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:34 AM
that_guy
Champion

My backs just that little bit sore enough to be annoying, nothing major though, and they gave me medication so it doesn't keep me up during the night (which was really the only thing bothering me). I'll get better soon enough, my car won't though.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:46 PM
alwaysclean19
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, really sorry to hear about your truck and I hope you start feeling better soon. I know what its like and it is miserable to be in that situation. I hate to say this, but the truck will most likely be totaled. Insurance companies are the most mindless organizations in the world and have no concept of reality. If the damage exceeds 70% of the cars value then it is totaled. However, I have good news and that is that you can buy it back from the total. The estimates from the insurance companies use the most expensive parts and are often very lofty estimates of total damage. With that being said you can most likely get it repaired like new for much less than that estimate.

Things to remember are that you should fight your insurance company to get the most for you truck, citing things like an impeccable maintenance record and with the pictures you have and the condition the truck is in you may even receive slightly higher than book value for your truck, which could prevent it from being totaled at all. Another thing is that if the accident is in fact 100% the womans fault you can fight her insurance company to cover your deductible because the insurance company has the duty to make you whole again after an accident. Its not an easy process but I went through it to get my truck back and its good as new now.(Hit and run accident last year). The worst part of it is you did nothing wrong and now it creates a big mess for you. Also who is your insurance company? I would check to see if they would insure the "salvaged title vehicle" before you try buy back option.

I really hope you don't have to go through that, but if you do and you have any questions I would be more than happy to help. Best of luck!

Oh, and thank you again for the ROTM nomination, I really appreciate it!!!

Old 05-11-2013, 02:40 PM
that_guy
Champion

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I hope I can buy it back from the insurance company if they rule it totaled, but I'll have to see how it goes. I have Nationwide (full coverage) and that lady has USAA, and they're pretty well useless. South Carolina is an at fault state, and sine she was the only contributing party to the accident her insurance is liable for all of the damages. I could file through my insurance first (I'd have to put up the deductible up front) and then Nationwide would have to go after her insurance for the money, but I'm trying to do things through USAA first, and of course USAA is trying to do anything they can to get out of paying, even though the accident (if you can even call intentionally running through a traffic light an accident) was her fault.

Needless to say I'm going to have quite the fight to deal with in the next few days.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I hope I can buy it back from the insurance company if they rule it totaled, but I'll have to see how it goes. I have Nationwide (full coverage) and that lady has USAA, and they're pretty well useless. South Carolina is an at fault state, and sine she was the only contributing party to the accident her insurance is liable for all of the damages. I could file through my insurance first (I'd have to put up the deductible up front) and then Nationwide would have to go after her insurance for the money, but I'm trying to do things through USAA first, and of course USAA is trying to do anything they can to get out of paying, even though the accident (if you can even call intentionally running through a traffic light an accident) was her fault.

Needless to say I'm going to have quite the fight to deal with in the next few days.
Honestly i would pay your deductible and let nationwide fight for the money and save yourself the headache. Let there people fight to get there money, that's what they get paid for... Then i would get a console from a accident lawyer. He (or she) have have a easy time getting you your deductible back from the lady and maybe even little more for your pain and suffering.

USAA is a pain in the a$$, please don't ask me how i know.....

Old 05-11-2013, 07:46 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by Old_School
Honestly i would pay your deductible and let nationwide fight for the money and save yourself the headache. Let there people fight to get there money, that's what they get paid for... Then i would get a console from a accident lawyer. He (or she) have have a easy time getting you your deductible back from the lady and maybe even little more for your pain and suffering.

USAA is a pain in the a$$, please don't ask me how i know.....
If USAA doesn't take care of things in the next few days I'll have to go to my insurance. I already know USAA is a pain from past experience too. When I got hit a few years ago, that lady had USAA too. Even though that lady admitted that she caused the accident to them right away, unlike this lady who tried lying to both the cop, who didn't buy it, and her insurance, they still kept trying to find a way to say they weren't liable and I did end up having to have my insurance go after them.

I don't want to have to deal with an injury lawyer, but I will if the insurance screws me on the money one way or another, since I'd really have no other option at that point.

Last edited by that_guy; 05-11-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:24 PM
that_guy
Champion

I was just over at the shop with the insurance adjuster. Right now he's valuing the truck somewhere between $4100 and $4400, leaving the totaled threshold around $3100. He said the damage is right around that mark and without knowing what needs replaced underneath that it'll probably be over that amount. The only thing I can really do at this point is argue that the value of the truck is higher since the least you can get another 99 with similar mileage that's in as nice of shape as mine is around $5500. Hopefully I can get them to fix it based on that, but I'll have to see how this all plays out.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish you the best of luck to get the truck fixed. I went thru one of these no fault accidents way back when someone rearended me. The other person did not have insurance (expired 12 hours ago). I had full coverage and also personal injury liability that covered some of my injuries.

But nice thing about most insurance companies with full coverage, they will try to mediate on your behalf with the other party to get the money to cover your loss. Luckily for my insurance (farmers back then) they were able to settle with the other party and I got my car repaired and medical bills re-imbursed plus some extras.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:49 PM
that_guy
Champion

I finally got a chance to have the shop put my car up on the lift and have a good look at it. There isn't any suspension or other mechanical damage, just body damage. Apparently the steering box is supposed to be at an angle like that since the brackets and frame are straight. They're estimating it would be $2300 for them to repair it unlike the insurance guy that was saying $2800. Should be done in a week or so hopefully.

Originally Posted by Kensai
Wish you the best of luck to get the truck fixed. I went thru one of these no fault accidents way back when someone rearended me. The other person did not have insurance (expired 12 hours ago). I had full coverage and also personal injury liability that covered some of my injuries.

But nice thing about most insurance companies with full coverage, they will try to mediate on your behalf with the other party to get the money to cover your loss. Luckily for my insurance (farmers back then) they were able to settle with the other party and I got my car repaired and medical bills re-imbursed plus some extras.
SC has at-fault laws so if I want my insurance to handle things I'd have to pay them the deductible first.

Quick Reply: My Durango's down for the time being