1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Second Opinion on transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:22 PM
KcSuitsev
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Opinion on transmission

Hello, my first time posting, I have been reading for a while. I purchased a 99 durange with the 5.2l and 4 wheel drive about 3 months ago. Test drove it and it drove fine, drove it the hour home and around town for a few days with no issues. Then after almost a week, it is slow shifting out of first, almost 3,000 rpms, and if I slow down but do not come to a complete stop then accelerate for example turning a corner, sometimes it will hesitate....best way to describe it is lugging the engine, like when you have a stick and your are in a gear to high. I then go CEL on, and it was the governer pressure sensor. I dropped the transmission pan and replaced the sensor, I didn't do the filter because the person I purchased it from had a receipt from when they changed the filter right before I got it. Put everything back together and still same issue, but no more check engine light. Reading on here, someone said throttle cable, so I adjusted that to its max and it shifts more around 2500 rpms now. Still does the lugging sometimes, and every other gear is fine, since I adjusted the throttle cable, reverse sometimes is a hard shift when it engages, reading online it sounds like I may have the throttle cable out of adjustment. I do most of my own repairs at home using a manual and online resources, but transmissions are something that has always scared me. Reading online it says my bands should have some give, when I dropped the transmission pan, I pushed on the bands and didn't feel any give at all, but wasn't sure how hard I should have to push to get the give. I am thinking I am going to drop the pan and change the filter again, probably replace the throttle cable...but anyone have any other ideas outside of a new transmission. I have 0 slippage and it shifts super smooth into second, just high rpm's before hand.

Thanks for your time, sorry about my grammer and spelling, not my strong points.

KC

Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

check the output speed sensor on the transmission tailshaft, its about $20 part when i did it on my dads dakota, fixed the delayed shift out of first, and turned off the CEL that went with it (the CEL is not always there)

Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 AM
KcSuitsev

Thanks I will try that and let you know, probably wont be for a week or so as I have to wait tell the good old payday!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like it may be a governor actuator going bad or sticking.

Mine did that for a while and I need to get mine replaced. The truck will try to launch in 2nd gear vs 1st gear. If I manually shift to first gear, then it will go to first gear. But in Drive mode, sometimes, the tranny will not kick down to 1st gear when you roll to a stop or to a point where the tranny should know to kickdown to 1st gear.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:25 PM
me109feo

I have the same problem, with the transmission, somebody have a picture of sensor of govern or of the contrl solenoid, or something, tanks...

Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Did the check engine light come on and if it did, what are the codes?

Quick Reply: Second Opinion on transmission