1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Cruise Control won't turn on and slow acceleration!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 01:30 PM
kevinch417
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control won't turn on and slow acceleration!

This weekend I disconnected the throttle on my 4.7 engine to clean it out and replace the IAC valve, and I also replaced the MAP sensor. I just reconnected everything, including the thing that connects the gas pedal to the throttle and the cruise control. I replaced some of these parts in my months-long effort to fix my rough idling and stalling (already replaced the TPS).

When I turn the Durango on, the rpm is great. It's nice and steady as it should be, and when i'm driving on streets it can accelerate as quickly as i want it to.

I brought it on the highway and it accelerates very poorly up to fifty or fifty-five and then from there, if i want to speed up quickly, like to move to the passing lane, I need to floor it to get any significant speed boost. and when i floor it, it takes a couple seconds before it reacts. Before I disconnected anything, it was great at accelerating quickly at any speed. What gives? I reconnected everything the exact same way it was when I found it.

While driving on the highway i tried to turn on my cruise control and hte light will not turn on.

Could any of this be due to the computer needing to relearn everything after disconnecting the battery? Is it something I should be concerned about?? I'll probably take it apart again just to check on the throttle and put it back after the engine cools.

I'm more concerned about the slow acceleration because where I live, the highway on ramps are very short so I need speed right away.

It was working fine beforehand so I don't think there's anything wrong with the tubes or needs new parts, but maybe taking them off and putting them back on will ensure they are on correctly...

Old 05-12-2013, 10:00 PM
kevinch417

I turned it on again and the rpm stayed at 2000 until i shifted to reverse or drive, where the car shook heavily, and the rpm dropped rapidly to about 1000. when i let off the brake the car pulled forward much quicker than usual.

I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, and now its back to the initial problem.

getting code P0121, and since i've already replaced the TPS, i'm not sure what to do.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:46 AM
kevinch417

From driving tyo work today, it feels like it won't shift up any higher than 2nd gear, so I will avoid the highway on the way back home. We're going to check the voltage of the TPS, and hopefully it's just the TPS i replaced is faulty instead of the computer...

Quick Reply: Cruise Control won't turn on and slow acceleration!