1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Found the rubbing noise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 05:12 PM
dan_frailey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found the rubbing noise.

Hay Guys, I had posted a thread about noise under valve covers, and thanks for the advice. After getting a good look at the right side vaulves I saw nothing wrong, I was happy but only now alot behind in my repair. The noise was at the flywheel/driveplate. something is rubbing against the thin metal plate infront of tranny faceing front. Any ideas on what it is for sure, or how to go about fixing it? Seems like plate is too close. Sound almost goes away after few miles. But not totally.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 PM
redfernclan
Rookie

Sounds like you better check your tourque converter bolts. They come from the engine side, go through the flex plate and thread into your tourque converter.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:08 PM
dan_frailey

I tried to get in through the front and bent the plate . Now it is REALLY loud. Is it tough to tighten the converter bolts? Can I do it without messing with the exhaust?, or the driveshaft, or trans mount? just wondering if you did any of this work before so I know what I am getting into. Only because it is my only way to pick up kids from school and can only spend little time. Thanks for any advice.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Danny in CO
Rookie

On the 5.2l, you have to remove the starter and then remove a few bolts to get the flywheel cover off. Then you can get to the bolts easily.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:13 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

It is possible for the plate to have been bent at some time and is rubbing the flex plate, even if all of the torque converter bolts are tight. I accidentally bent my plate the one time I had my transmission off and then had to bend it back because it was rubbing the flex plate itself and making noise.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:41 AM
dan_frailey

Well I know that the plate is bent now. I heard of someone prying the plate away from the flex plate. They must have better luck than me. The cover is bent up now and the bolts don't line up. the noise went from annoying at first, to I would say undriveable. It is a 4.7 and don't know if the removing of starter would help get to the bolts.I don't have access to a lift and will be lying under it. You know how bad that is.. Was just wondering of any shortcuts, or quick fixes. I am just trying to avoid taking everything apart, It is hard to do by yourself. Any advice.. thanks

Old 09-13-2013, 12:58 PM
dan_frailey

I ended up bending the plate back at the bottom leaving a small gap at the bottom. I ran it with it open like that and didn't see any wobble. I know this is a quick fix, but with my schedule it will have to do unless I need in there for something else. Thanks for the advice. You guys talk about taking the tranny out, sounds like a lot of work. But getting all the bolts lined up without stripping them while balancing everything seems stressful. You must have more tools then me (like patience)

Quick Reply: Found the rubbing noise.