1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

changing upstream o2 sensor

Old 07-28-2013, 10:31 AM
wallkicker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing upstream o2 sensor

Hello again ,

Well , the old 98 has been giving me trouble again . To make it a short story I am replacing or at least pulling the pre cat o2 on the Durango . Passenger side and she's on a ramp so I can get to the sensor . The problem is getting to the plug . She's jammed up between the tranny and housing . I don't see a good way to get at it . I am doubting I can get it apart . Question is can I cut the wires and splice them ? Of course, if anybody has a way to get that sucker unplugged I am open to ideas . Thanks ahead for any help ! Jim

Old 07-28-2013, 03:06 PM
wallkicker
Default bump it one time

I was hoping for a few ideas from you guys .I am a little hesitant to just get in there and start pulling and prodding as I don't want to screw up the engine side plugs or wires . I just can't get two hands up in there to pull it apart. I guess if I don't get any help I will just get it done best I can . Hoping for a trick or two . Jim

Old 07-29-2013, 02:14 PM
wallkicker

Well , guess I'm on my own on this one . Guess it's git er done time !

Old 07-29-2013, 03:25 PM
pkucan
Professional

Originally Posted by wallkicker
I was hoping for a few ideas from you guys .I am a little hesitant to just get in there and start pulling and prodding as I don't want to screw up the engine side plugs or wires . I just can't get two hands up in there to pull it apart. I guess if I don't get any help I will just get it done best I can . Hoping for a trick or two . Jim
I have used a metal coat hanger before (can't remember on what vehicle) to depress the little plastic tab to release it and super long needle nosed pliers to pull it apart. Wire coat hangers (not the cheapo skinny ones) work wonders! Good Luck!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wallkicker
Well , guess I'm on my own on this one . Guess it's git er done time !
Patience grasshopper. it's barely been 24 hrs since you asked.

I was just in their a couple days ago, and I can tell you if you are under the D enough, you can get two hands up there with a small screwdriver. You have to press in the center of the side, where the red latch is, to be able to slip up the red latch. Then it just pulls apart.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If I remember right you can undo the bolts on the y pipe where it connects to the manifolds and then you can move the pipe around some to give yourself better access.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:13 AM
wallkicker

Glad , I checked back . I got frustrated and put it on hold for a while . I will give these ideas a shot . I appreciate the feedback . I used to use the "patience grasshopper" quote myself . I have broken in more than a few carpenters in my day , now I am the "grasshopper" . To funny , I needed a good laugh . Thanks guys . If I ever get this sucker I let you know . I will say that whom ever designed this plug missed "access" class in engineering class .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: changing upstream o2 sensor