1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

transfer case interchange question

Old 09-30-2013, 10:42 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts
Default transfer case interchange question

I have an 01 Durango with a 360 and 46 RE. I know of a transfer case also from an 01 but the potential donor had the 4.7 engine.
Would the T case have been the same?
here is why I ask; I need a T case shift motor which I know to be the same. I can get this T case complete with that motor for less than I can buy jst the motor anywhere else. Plans are to take the shift motor off the donor and put it on mine, but if the T case wont work (thinking future spare parts) its not worth having around collecting dust.
Donor claimed to only have 80K miles while mine has 214K. See why I'd like a spare T case?

Old 10-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
I have an 01 Durango with a 360 and 46 RE. I know of a transfer case also from an 01 but the potential donor had the 4.7 engine.
Would the T case have been the same?
here is why I ask; I need a T case shift motor which I know to be the same. I can get this T case complete with that motor for less than I can buy jst the motor anywhere else. Plans are to take the shift motor off the donor and put it on mine, but if the T case wont work (thinking future spare parts) its not worth having around collecting dust.
Donor claimed to only have 80K miles while mine has 214K. See why I'd like a spare T case?

You should be fine.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:30 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I got the replacement 'case last nite, same model T case as what is in my Durango...
hopefully spline count etc is the same as I am probably gonna just swap the whole T case... replacement is supposed to have only 80K, where my Durango has 214K...
I could just swap the shift motor, but I gotta pull the front D shaft and front yoke anyway, about the same amount of work to leave the shift motor mounted and just swap out the 'case... as far as I know he case in my Rango is OK but the Service 4WD lite has been lit and I have not been able to engage 4WD since I have had it.
I got the replacement T case with shift motor still there for less than the price of a reman shift motor. Seller was just glad someone could use it and not chuck it into the scrap.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:55 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah.. you'll be alright. It's all the same for the most part.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

01 46-RE the same as an 2001 RFE, I don't think so but I don't have my manuals with me right now.

On the back of the T-case is a round plate that has the type, read them and compair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transfer case interchange question