1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Horn honks 3 times

Old 10-28-2013, 12:06 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Horn honks 3 times

Just curious if anyone on here has had a similar problem and solved it?

Sometimes, when I hit the unlock button on my key fob, the horn will honk 3 times and stop. No more, no less. It's random when it does it, some days it won't do it at all, others it happens 5 or 6 times in a day. It's driving me nuts. For now, I unplugged the horns, but I don't like that (I use my horn quite frequently, alotta dumb drivers here). It only happens when I use the key fob, if I use the key in the door, it doesn't do it. If I can't figure this out by Thursday, I'm just gunna go get a spare key cut and stop using the keyless (only using the keyless right now to warm the truck up in the morning)

Old 10-28-2013, 12:24 AM
PublicHair
Banned

It's the security system. Letting you know someone has tampered with your vehicle.. Tho in my case and probably yours its more like a sensor gone bad.

Mine will honk if sat for three plus days which is common as I hardly drive my durango.

Someone suggested a bad door sensor (open door, there is a sensor that lets the vehicle know the door is closed).

Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 AM
PublicHair
Banned

Oh yeah.. I simply disconnected my horn. I don't care to fix mine. It's now a second spare vehicle..

Old 10-28-2013, 12:53 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I've never had any issues at all with mine, but apparently resetting the alarm has worked for a lot of people. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...going-off.html

Old 10-28-2013, 01:24 AM
PublicHair
Banned

^your system is different. 01+ trims are more in depth

Old 10-28-2013, 06:46 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

I like having my horns cuz like I said, I use them a lot! But if it weren't my main vehicle, I would likely leave them un plugged as well lol.

I tried the reset on the security system, hopefully it works. It would make sense with mine cuz I originally bought it from an insurance auction. The truck was vandalized. Tomorrow will be the test as it usually does it first thing in the morning. Thanks for he insight!

Last edited by RockGuardedDak; 10-28-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:38 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Didn't fix it. Don't know what will at this point. May just install a button and wire the horns to that instead

Old 10-29-2013, 07:10 PM
PublicHair
Banned

Like I said, someone once told me its the door sensors. But my thought was if one of the door sensors is randomly going nuts not only would it trigger the alarm as stated but wouldn't it also randomly kicked on the interior lights while driving? My Durango is pretty much just a road trip vehicle and sees a lot of long period road time and I've never seen the lights flicker on inside at all.

..someone also said it could be the CTM. Now those do have a history of being nuts. You could go to car-part.com and locate one for less than $100 but problem is that unit also controls your keyless entry. So if you swap that unit out you'll also need to reprogram your key fobs..which could be expensive. Dealer down in Texas wanted $60 per fob. Dealer in Colorado wanted $25 for unlimited fobs programmed. ...if I could fix my issue for $60 (CTM) + $25 (keyless) then $85 doesn't seem too bad to fix the issue....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horn honks 3 times