1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Wilwood caliper conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 01:56 PM
winkie74
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wilwood caliper conversion

I have a 99 Durango 4x4 and I've been reading the posts about the Wilwood brake conversion BrandonBurns85 was putting together but I don't have $775 to spend on front brakes so I was thinking about getting a pair of Wilwood 4 piston calipers and getting the material for the bracket from a local welding shop and do all the measuring, grinding, drilling myself. I've worked with metal many times and I'm **** about everything being even and precise so I'll be good there. I want to use the stock rotor, probably the EBC slotted and dimpled rotor with some ceramic pads. I have a couple questions though. What material would be best for the bracket? And what calipers should I use? I looked on Wilwoods website and They don't have a caliper to exactly fit the width of our rotors(.945" I believe) they have ones for a 1" rotor which I believe would be fine.

Last edited by winkie74; 12-24-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: correct specification
Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by winkie74
I have a 99 Durango 4x4 and I've been reading the posts about the Wilwood brake conversion BrandonBurns85 was putting together but I don't have $775 to spend on front brakes so I was thinking about getting a pair of Wilwood 4 piston calipers and getting the material for the bracket from a local welding shop and do all the measuring, grinding, drilling myself. I've worked with metal many times and I'm **** about everything being even and precise so I'll be good there. I want to use the stock rotor, probably the EBC slotted and dimpled rotor with some ceramic pads. I have a couple questions though. What material would be best for the bracket? And what calipers should I use? I looked on Wilwoods website and They don't have a caliper to exactly fit the width of our rotors(.945" I believe) they have ones for a 1" rotor which I believe would be fine.
Not sure if it would work on a pre 01 durango but I don't see why not..

Just get brake calipers off a jeep grand Cherokee. Or I think the 03 durangos got them also.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:45 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Remember that 98-00 had 15in rims and 01+ had 16in or 17in. I don't know much on the subject but keep that in mind.

Quick Reply: Wilwood caliper conversion