1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 durango back brakes problem

Old 04-06-2010, 10:58 AM
danab242
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2001 durango back brakes problem

I' ve replaced the back brakes due to the pads keep cracking anyone know how to solve this problem they usually last about less than 200 miles ????

Old 04-06-2010, 01:02 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

got pics of what you mean, i have never heard of pads cracking, especially not on drum brakes, the rear drums on my truck are still the ones that came from the factory, 90k on the truck (my old truck had 190k on the origional rears) they should WAY outlast the front brakes

Old 04-06-2010, 05:32 PM
danab242
Amateur
Angry Back brakes cracking

I have a problem with either the left or right back brakes cracking with only less than 200 miles on them and yes i got the premium brake pads.. Does anyone know what causeing this? i had the drums replaced already

Old 04-06-2010, 05:53 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Do you drive with your left foot on the brake pedal? Only reason that brake shoes or pads will crack is from excessive heat caused from someone driving with their left foot on the brake pedal or a brake cylinder hanging up. It also can be a brake proportion valve hanging up.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 PM
danab242
Amateur
Angry Drums are really hot

2001 durango back brakes had replaced 3 times every time the drums are really hot on the side that the pad is cracked . which showed i look for first (the problem)

Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

how about showing us some PICTURES of what you are referring to

it could be that you have the e-brake adjusted too tight, that will cause them to drag and generate the excess heat which causes cracking as 45autopete has said

rephrasing the question every-time someone responds to your thread will NOT HELP us to help you so please do not re post the problem again, answer the questions you are asked (by me in the first response being for pictures of what you are referring to)

Thanks

Old 04-06-2010, 07:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Take your truck to a brake shop as you have an issue that could cause a wreck.

Whats causing it???? we don't know so we think your better off just take it in as a shop.....IMHO

Have a great day!

Old 04-23-2011, 11:43 AM
alex1195
Talking cracking brake shoes

The problem is most likely the parking brake is not adjusted correctly.
If you have a brake spoon. Look for the slot in the bottom of the inside shield. You will need the brake spoon and a small long blade flat screw driver. Insert the screw driver straight in to the slot until you feel the Automatic adjuster push away from the ratcheted wheel on the adjuster. Holding it in, take the brake spoon and slide it in until it's in one of the ratching slots. Now move the ratching wheel so it turns IN reducing the pressure on the bottom of the brake shoes. Usually about 3-4 full turns. With both Rear wheels off the ground and the truck in Neutral, spin the tire your working on. It should spin free with no drag. If it is still dragging, repeat the process until it does spin freely. Repeat the same process to the opposite side. When finished be sure to replace the rubber plugs in the holes to prevent water from entering the brakes.
Prior to dropping the truck down. with the truck still in neutral, push down on the parking brake pedal then check the rear wheels. They should not move at all. If they do, you need to adjust the parking brake cable.
find the cables and trace out to the adjustor (should be a long steel rod with three nuts on it. Find the one closest to the front of the truck. this is the keeper and will be thinner than the other two, Loosen this nut until there is about a 1/2 " space between the two. Now loosen the one closest to the back of the truck about 1" lastly, tighten the remaining nut about 3/8" to 1/2" at a time. do this with the parking break released. No depress the parking bake about halfway. Check the rear tires. They should not move now. if they still do, release the parking brake pedal and repeat the process until they no longer move. ALWAYS REMEMBER TO CHECK THE TIRE MOVEMENT AFTER THE PARKING BRAKE IS RELEASED!!!
dO THIS TO INSURE THAT THE CABLE IS NOT TOO TIGHT, CAUSING THE BACK BACK BRAKES TO DRAG. I'm sure if I missed something on thse directions someone on the site will fill in the missing directions.
I've done hundreds of brake jobs on my own as well as others vehicles.
It's pretty simple really. Hope this helps.
(forgive any spelling errors. it tought to type with a broken finger in a cast)
Alex

Old 04-23-2011, 02:57 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

some people really **** me off

Old 04-23-2011, 05:03 PM
dolittle
Veteran

Originally Posted by topdogcustoms
some people really **** me off