1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 318 cel for o2 sensors went off

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 01:56 PM
cmevans84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 318 cel for o2 sensors went off

So last week I replaced my precat o2 sensor b/c my cel was on saying both were low or high in volts. The cel was still on for the back but it was still running rough. So today I cleaned the throttle body, IAC and replaced the gasket. Now my cel is gone, the D is running like a champ! This is my first post by the way. Anyways... maybe this can help if anyone having the same problem.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:11 PM
cmevans84

Originally Posted by cmevans84
So last week I replaced my precat o2 sensor b/c my cel was on saying both were low or high in volts. The cel was still on for the back but it was still running rough. So today I cleaned the throttle body, IAC and replaced the gasket. Now my cel is gone, the D is running like a champ! This is my first post by the way. Anyways... maybe this can help if anyone having the same problem.
BTW, I have also had to replace the alternator b/c it wasn't charging my battery. As well as the pcv and a full tune up. And if anyone wondering what o2 brand I used it was Bosch and I haven't had any problems yet... lol

Old 04-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After you did this did you reset the PCM?

Second, what brand sensors did you use? i have myself and seen many others have issues with Bosch o2 sensors... Denso is the OEM o2 sensor and the one many mave had the most luck with.

Last edited by Old_School; 04-20-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:49 AM
cmevans84

Originally Posted by Old_School
After you did this did you reset the PCM?

Second, what brand sensors did you use? i have myself and seen many others have issues with Bosch o2 sensors... Denso is the OEM o2 sensor and the one many mave had the most luck with.
Yes I reset it using the key method. Like I said, I used bosch. Lol no problems yet.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:09 AM
cmevans84

Yes I reset it using the key method. Like I said, I used bosch. Lol no problems yet.
OK so my cel is back on now for the post cat o2 sensor, but that's the one I haven't replaced so its alright. Noticed this morning upon inspection of my job yesterday that my tps sensor is cracked, going to replace it this week after payday. The D is still running good.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:34 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can get Desno on www.rockauto.com for cheap, and they are OEM. Bosch, well most people have issues with them.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:53 AM
cmevans84

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
You can get Desno on www.rockauto.com for cheap, and they are OEM. Bosch, well most people have issues with them.
I should of went there first. Can replace both for what I paid for the one at auto zone... found a new oem mopar tps on eBay for 25 bucks, as wants 50 for too guess for conscience fee...

My tps is broke but no noticeable symptoms... broke where the two plastic pieces fit together... any suggestions? Prolly going to get a new one just for piece of mind.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:36 PM
chris65
Rookie

just to consider:
maybe the o2 sensors was not the reason?
before you change the sensors- you should measure the resistance- you don't need to know what they supposed to have- if they are all somewhat the same- they are not defective.
the light came on, because the sensors tell you. that they are at the limit. this means- if they are on the high end or low end- can be caused by a restriction- which would make the gas mix richer, or a leakage, which would make it leaner- the sensors are just indicators, that something is not right.
check the intake boot, where it goes on the throttle- also all vacuum hoses and evaporation system. check the engine evaporation hose for restrictions etc...
the problem is, when you change the sensors and reset the system, the system programs the issue into the tolerance and it will be gone for a while- but because other components are also influenced, something else will come up sooner or later- and so on.
I repaired a lot of cars, where almost everything was new and still after 3-6 month something else came up. I found a kinked engine evaporation hose.
another car I found a broken evaporation system vacuum valve- the dealer wanted to replace the pcm after he already changed the oxygen sensors, the alternator, the kombi and the egr valve. this was a $15.00 repair.
I don't say, that there is nothing wrong with your sensors- but when you changed them and cleared the error memory, and the light is still coming on with the same issue, there is very likely something else the root cause.
checking cost nothing...

Chris

Old 04-24-2014, 07:42 AM
cmevans84

Originally Posted by chris65
just to consider:
maybe the o2 sensors was not the reason?
before you change the sensors- you should measure the resistance- you don't need to know what they supposed to have- if they are all somewhat the same- they are not defective.
the light came on, because the sensors tell you. that they are at the limit. this means- if they are on the high end or low end- can be caused by a restriction- which would make the gas mix richer, or a leakage, which would make it leaner- the sensors are just indicators, that something is not right.
check the intake boot, where it goes on the throttle- also all vacuum hoses and evaporation system. check the engine evaporation hose for restrictions etc...
the problem is, when you change the sensors and reset the system, the system programs the issue into the tolerance and it will be gone for a while- but because other components are also influenced, something else will come up sooner or later- and so on.
I repaired a lot of cars, where almost everything was new and still after 3-6 month something else came up. I found a kinked engine evaporation hose.
another car I found a broken evaporation system vacuum valve- the dealer wanted to replace the pcm after he already changed the oxygen sensors, the alternator, the kombi and the egr valve. this was a $15.00 repair.
I don't say, that there is nothing wrong with your sensors- but when you changed them and cleared the error memory, and the light is still coming on with the same issue, there is very likely something else the root cause.
checking cost nothing...

Chris
The light came back on for the post cat o2 sensor which was not replaced, but the code for the precat sensors gone.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:30 PM
cmevans84

The light came back on for the post cat o2 sensor which was not replaced, but the code for the precat sensors gone.
OK now both o2 sensors are throwing codes... again. Going to check them before I throw any more money on them. Runs great now that I cleaned throttle body and IAC. Might have to replace cvj on passenger side tho... makes loud bring clicking noises.

Quick Reply: 98 318 cel for o2 sensors went off