1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fan Clutch Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 09:34 PM
mewfie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan Clutch Problem?

OK..I've been reading some of the threads regarding the Fan Clutch, but I'm still unsure as to what the problem is regarding my 2001 Durango w/4.7 litre. I came off highway onto an offramp and my fan engaged. As I sped up, the fan got louder. The transmission changes gears and I never had the A/C unit running. I opened up the hood to look at the fan and I was able to move the fan completely around in circle with only a little resistance. When I do spin the fan around, I feel a bump every little turn ( the fan is not freely moving, but I have no trouble moving it around 360 degrees)

Is the problem most likely a failed clutch on the fan because I can move the fan and that is the reason its not disengaging?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

Mewf

Old 07-10-2010, 10:32 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

you said the fan can easily turn in a full circle, how did you do that, did you grab one fan blade and give it a push and watch? or did you push a couple of fan blades?

what you need to do is to grab one fan blade and give it a push, if it goes all the way around replace the clutch it should spin less than 1/2 a turn(mine spins just enough for the next blade to be up)
and what fan engaged as you hit the offramp? the electric fan? if so yes it went on bc the clutch fan wasnt working correctly.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 PM
mewfie
Default ...

shrpshtr, sorry I should have been a little more specific.

I had to to push a couple of fan blade to make it go around (it did not move freely around after one push). If I remember correctly, I shouldn't be able to move the fan around at all.

When I say the fan engaged..I mean the clutch fan (not electric). It never engages like that..and now the clutch fan stays on..even when the engine is cold/hot.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:48 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i would still replace the clutch fan, it almost sounds to me like it seized up on you.

as i said above, the clutch fan should turn by hand about the distance to get the next fan blade into the position you pushed from, but if the clutch fan is staying engaged than something is wrong with it and a replacement is your best bet.

but a word of warning, the new clutch will keep the fan engaged for about 1/2 a mile first thing after a long night of sitting and then it should let go until it gets broken in. (which does take quite a while)

Old 07-10-2010, 11:16 PM
mewfie
Default ..

Yeah..I'll probably replace the clutch fan. Its better than doing 75 miles an hour with that fan engaged and howling all the way down the highway...

Old 07-11-2010, 12:13 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would replace the fan clutch. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:25 AM
mewfie

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help!

Old 07-11-2010, 02:21 PM
1999_Durango_SLT
Professional

Good info here. I checked mine as at times it does the same but not to this extremity and it has almost a half turn using one blade to push. Putting mine off as in Feb. I am putting in a new reman engine along with new other parts as well.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:47 PM
dodgedartmike
Default Problem with fan clutch on 2001 Dakota V6

I have replaced the fan clutch after the OEM failed twice from Auto Zone. Since I mainly drive around town and use it for short trips should I just replace it with a manual fan clutch?
I would appreciate any advice because I'm tired of having the same problem!

Thanks,
Mike

Old 07-31-2015, 06:42 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Wait, did you use an OEM fan clutch or one from autozone? The only ones that will work properly are the mopar ones in my experience. Aftermarket ones are junk.

Quick Reply: Fan Clutch Problem?