1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission problem...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Brian94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem...please help!

I have an '02 Durango, 4wd, 4.7L with about 120,000 miles on it. Late last week, driving about 35 mph it jerked hard when it tried to shift. Check engine light immediately came on. As I drove the mile or so home, it did the same thing again. Shifted 2 times normally after I pulled out from a stop sign, and the 3rd shift jerked. I took it my regular mechanic on Monday, he drove it and stated it seemed fine to him. Did it to me again before I got home, and the check engine light came back on. It seems to shift about like normal if I manually turn the overdrive off.The only code it shows me is p0700, so I took it to Advance and them get the codes. They got the p0700, p0734, and p1791. The only transmission related problems we have ever had with it is that the shift lever sometimes will not come out of park, you normally have to let it run for 20 minutes or so and then it's normal. We checked with the dealer and ours wasn't included in the recall on those parts. I assume that probably doesn't have anything to do with the current problems, but just wanted to include all info. I checked the transmission fluid first thing, level is fine and it is pinkish orange with no burned smell and no particles.

Also, today it started idling fast and rough, and I can smell gas. Not sure if that's related, or if the Durango has decided to fall apart all at once on me.

Would definitely appreciate any advice, as this is my family's only vehicle.

Thanks!

Last edited by Brian94; 07-03-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:56 PM
archemedes74
Veteran

found some info on your codes "When the code P0700 is set in the Powertrain Computer, it means that the Powertrain Computer or PCM is seeing greater than a specified RPM difference between the rotational speed of the Input RPM Sensor and the Transmission Output RPM Sensor. This can occur during shifting or when driving at steady speeds in the same gear. It often implies that the transmission is slipping. " P034 MAP Sensor Signal Out Of Range the other code is loss of prime, aka not getting fluid

Old 07-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Brian94
Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for the info! It is greatly appreciated. One of the codes was p0734, sorry for the typo!

I plan to have the transmission fluid and filter changed today, as that seems to be the first step I see in correcting most transmission problems.

Do you have an ideas what may be causing these issues, or what else I should try to correct them?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Brian94

Thanks so much for the info! It is greatly appreciated. One of the codes was p0734, sorry for the typo!

I plan to have the transmission fluid and filter changed today, as that seems to be the first step I see in correcting most transmission problems.

Do you have an ideas what may be causing these issues, or what else I should try to correct them?

Quick Reply: Transmission problem...please help!