1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help with 2002 Durango-Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Yakman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help with 2002 Durango-Starting Problems

I need some help trouble shooting what is wrong with 02 Durango. For months I had issues with no power to start-replaced battery and then starter. Had no problems until yesterday and now have no power to start. All engine lights come on but will not turn over. Put on battery charger and it jumped up to 6 amps. Had O'Reilly's check battery and its not bad just dead. Is this an alternator issue?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Danny in CO
Rookie

Sounds like you have an electrical draw somewhere. Maybe a light somewhere that is not going off: under the hood, glove box, map light. Go out on a dark night and look. Do you have an after market sound system with a sub-woofer? Could this be draining the battery?

You can take the negative battery cable off and using a multi-meter and measure the draw when the truck is off. A small amount is ok. Things like the radio draw a little bit to keep time and presets.

Might be hard to track down.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Yakman
Default update

Just rechecked battery, all fuses etc nothing wrong with them. All engine lights come on but no turnover. Can it be the ignition switch? How hard is that to replace?

Old 09-17-2014, 03:11 PM
dxloat
Veteran

I had a similar problem with battery going dead. It turned out to be the glove box switch was out of adjustment leaving the light on when the box was closed. Sometimes its stupid simple.

Quick Reply: Help with 2002 Durango-Starting Problems