1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4x4 engages it's self!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Country705
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 engages it's self!!!!

Hello guys,

I need some help. My wife bought me a 1999 dodge durango 318, automatic, and 4x4. I was completely happy with it until my father in law broke my drivers side door panel and used duct tape to hold the window up. now I have a broken regulator and power window motor which I am working on getting fixed. My major gripe has to be the durango has become "Christine" and started selecting "4wd part time" all the time. I can leave the durango parked in 2wd and when I come back BOOM it's 4wd part time and no amount of moving the 4x4 slector will get it out of 4wd part time. I mean this is absurd how does a vehicle just suddenly place it'self in 4x4. What's worse is I had to drive it on the interstate with it being this way in order to get my family home after a outing. I know I know...It could of done damage to the transfer case but I had not way of getting home at the time. Anyways my wife thinks I don't like the gift because of the few problems I have had but in reality I really do love the durango I just don't know where to even start fixing that blasted 4x4. I have to have it fixed before december because thats when winter time hits where we live and its gets really nasty trying to drive from where we live at. Thanks In advance for any help!

Last edited by Country705; 09-22-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:07 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd guess that the linkage for the transfer case shifter needs adjusted. If you crawl underneath there's a rod that goes through the end of another one which has a bolt to hold them together. Loosen that bolt and put the case all the way into 2wd with the lever on the side of the case, then have someone hold the shifter all the way forward inside the truck. Tighten down the bolt and you should be good.

As for not going back into 2wd sometimes you have to let the truck roll forward a bit so that the gears will mesh and let you shift.

Good color choice by the way.

Quick Reply: 4x4 engages it's self!!!!