1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 Durango rear tailgate won't open

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:39 PM
drdoug99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Durango rear tailgate won't open

Hi all, I just got a used 99 Durango, and overall it's been well kept up with, but of course due to it's age, it has some quirks. One of those quirks is the back liftgate.

Problem is that the liftgate handle, doesn't seem to be engaging the lock or whatever to actually open the liftgate. The keys I have do not fit properly I guess, as I cannot lock or unlock with the keys, but the remote does lock/unlock it.

Sometimes it opens fine, other times it takes several times, I pull the handle, the handle moves, but doesn't open the liftgate. If I lock/unlock the doors several times using the remote it sometimes helps, but I think it's just a coincidence. It will just decide to open up randomly.

So the question is, is a problem with the handle or the lock? I'm not sure how to even access the handle or how it even works to try to fix it, but any ideas? Thanks!

Old 09-24-2014, 09:55 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Take the panel off of the inside of the tailgate and then you'll be able to see the mechanism. Probably just needs lubricated.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:20 PM
dxloat
Veteran

There is a foam seal meant to keep water out of the mech that breaks down and fails then the zinc mech corrodes and gets tighter and tighter. You need to disassemble the handle and grease it up real good and put some rtv or silicon around the handle flange before reassembly. At least thats what I did and it has been trouble free since. Rock auto also sells replacement handle assemblies for the rear hatch reasonably if it is damaged too much.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:11 PM
zimmer28

My 2002 Durango had the same problem. My key wouldn't even budge the rear hatch lock. Here's what I did for a quick temporary fix.

I used WD-40 with the spray straw and pushed it into the lock mechanism. I sprayed up and down with two or three shots (place a rag below the latching mechanish on the bumper, before you do this). Let the hatch down, but do not close it. The WD-40 will drip out of the door catch and onto the rag you hopefully placed on the bumper.

After about 10 seconds, I inserted the key into the hatch and began to work it back and forth slowly. As the movements got easier, I increased the pace until the lock moved almost effortlessly.

When I closed my hatch, it locked and unlocked freely, almost like new.

When I have more time, I'll do what the poster above said about disassembling it. Also, after a few days, I'll spray some powdered graphite into the hatch lock system and exercise it with the key. (this is how I was taught to properly lubricate door locking mechanisms). Graphite is a dry lubricant, and does not bind up when the weather gets to freezing.

Hope this helps, but it is just a quick fix for non-winter weather.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:59 PM
drdoug99

I think I've gotten it better...took off the inside plastic hatch covers, able to see how the handle mechanism works...spayed some silicon lubricant on the exposed metal pieces, and moved the internal latch parts manually with my hand to make sure everything moved right....the handle still doesn't lift as good as I would like but it is better and seems to open consistentaly now...if it gets worse i'll see about those replacement assemblies. thanks!

Quick Reply: 99 Durango rear tailgate won't open